M: Hello, Ivan.
男:你好,伊萬。
W: Hello, Bob.
女:你好,鮑勃。
M: You know, today is a very special day.
男:你知道,今天是個特別的日子。
M: That's the 20th anniversary of the World Wide Web.
男:今天是萬維網誕生20周年。
W: Ah, the World Wide Web.
女:啊,萬維網。
W: It's really changed our lives, and ... and in such a short space of time.
女:它真的改變了我們的生活,而且……時間很短。
M: En. definitely.
男:嗯,確實如此。
M: Now do you know on average how long does someone spend surfing the net each day?
男:你知道現在大家平均每天有多少個小時在上網嗎?
W: En ... honestly I do not know.
女:嗯……老實說我不知道。
W: But I guess people must spend a lot of time on things like Facebook.
女:但是我想在Facebook之類的東西上,人們一定花了很多時間。
M: That's true.
男:那是肯定的。
W: And I'm sure almost everyone uses the Internet now.
女:我敢肯定現在幾乎每個人都在使用互聯網。
W: But I wonder how we cope without it.
女:但我納悶如果沒有它我們該怎么辦。
M: Well, it might it be a bit difficult without it.
男:嗯,沒有它可能會有點麻煩。
W: I guess so.
女:我猜也是。
W: For instance, some people need it for social relationships.
女:例如,有些人需要互聯網維持社交關系。
M: Yes, especially those who are far away.
男:是的,尤其是那些離得很遠的人。
M: Keeping in contact with friends and family would be impossible without the Internet.
男:如果沒有互聯網,與朋友和家人保持聯系,幾乎是不可能的。
W: But are there people who would cope without the Internet?
女:但是沒有了互聯網,真的沒人能和親友保持聯系了嗎?
M: Yes, there are.
男:有的。
M: These people have some alternatives.
男:他們有其他的方式。
W: What kind?
女:什么?
M: For example, we could write to each other like we used to before we have the Internet.
男:比如說,我們可以像以前還沒有互聯網時那樣,給對方寫信。
M: It would be lovely to get more handwritten letters from friends and family rather than just emails, I think.
男:我認為,從朋友和家人那里收到手寫的來信比電子郵件要溫暖得多。
W: That's what we call snail mail. But, of course, lots more paper would mean that we need bigger file cabinets.
女:就是我們所說的“蝸牛郵件”。但是,當然,紙越來越多,我們就需要更大的文件柜。
M: Yes. Well, it's still incredible how the World Wide Web has expanded in 20 years and how much we now rely on it.
男:是的。然而,20年來萬維網的發展仍然令人難以置信,我們現在對萬維網的依賴也是如此。
M: I wonder what it will be like after another 20 years.
男:我想知道再過20年會是什么樣子。
W: Well, for better or worse, the web will have greater impact on our life and society.
女:嗯,無論好壞,網絡將對我們的生活和社會都會產生更大的影響。