Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a Professor.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和教授之間的對話。
Student:Hi professor, I guess you want to see me.
學生:嗨,教授,你要見我?
Professor:Hi Bill thanks for coming. I want to talk to you about …..
教授:你好比爾,謝謝你來。我想要跟你談談…
Student:Is there something wrong with my research paper?
學生:我的調查論文有問題嗎?
Professor:No, not at all, in fact it's very good. That's why I want to talk to you.
教授:不,一點也不。事實上寫的很好。這是為什么我想要跟你談談的原因。
Student:Oh, thanks.
學生:哦,非常感謝。
Professor:I think you know that the department is looking to hire a new professor, are you familiar with our hiring process.
教授:我想你知道我們部門在招聘一個新教授,你了解流程嗎?
Student:No, but what is that got to do with me.
學生:不太了解。但這跟我有什么關系呢?
Professor:Well, Bill, we have several qualified applicants for serious about and this part of this interview process we have to meet with the committee of the professors and students in our department.
教授:是這樣的,比爾,我們已經有了幾個有資格的應聘者。在這環節的面試中我們需要一個由我們系教授和學生組成的委員會,
They also have to give a talk.
應聘者需要做一次演講。
Student:You mean like a lecture?
學生:你的意思是來講一節課?
Professor:Yes, like a sample lecture on one of their academic interests
教授:對,像是一個人在他學術領域里的一次試講。
Student:Oh, see you can see their teaching style
學生:所以你能看到他的講課風格?
Professor:Exactly.
教授:沒錯。
Student:Hah…Make sense.
學生:嗯,這很合理。
Professor:So I'd like to know if you be willing to join us as the student's representatives on the interview committee.
教授:所以我想知道你是否更愿意作為學生代表來參加這個面試委員會。
It'll be a good experience for you. You could put it on your resume.
這對你來說會是個很好的經歷,你可以把它寫進你的簡歷里。
Student:Oh… better looks good for my graduate application, I guess, so, what do I have to do.
學生:哦…這樣有利于我的研究生申請,我想。那么,我該做些什么呢?
Professor:The department's secretary will give you a schedule of the applicant's thesis if you are free,
教授:如果你有時間,系里的秘書會給你一份應聘者的論文和日程安排。
we'd like you to attend our talks and then later you can give us your opinion.
我們希望你出席我們的談話會,之后告訴我們你的想法。
Oh and we usually serve lunch and snacks depending on what time the talk is.
噢,而且我們通常視時間而定會提供午飯和零食。
Student:Cool, that's another good reason to do this. Um… when is the next talk?
學生:好,這也是一個參加的好理由。嗯…下一次談話會是什么時候?
Professor:We actually haven't any yet, the first one is next Friday. It's 10 AM, then lunch, then the formal discussion with the applicant right after.
教授:事實上我們一個會還沒開。第一個會是在下周五,上午十點,接著是午餐,然后是正式的討論,之后還有應聘者。
Student:Oh well, I'm free on Fridays if all the talks are on Fridays, I will be able to make all of them.
學生:我周五有空,如果所有的談話都是在周五,我就可以全都到場。
Professor:That's great, now you should know this job candidate is interested in the lifecycle in the forest.
教授:那太好了,現在你需要知道,這位應聘者的研究方向是樹林中的生物圈。
Student:That's what my research about.
學生:那是我論文的主題。
Professor:Yes, I know that's why I feel necessary to point out that even though these applicants' research interests were similar to yours; we want you to tell us what you think about the teaching of all these applicants.
教授:對,這就是為什么我覺得必須指出,即使這些應聘者的研究方向跟你的很像,我們想知道你對于他們的講課能力覺得怎么樣。
Your perspective is as a student, how the applicant teaches in the classroom that was important to us.
你學生視角中應聘老師在課堂的表現對我們來說很重要。
Student:I understand so how many applicants are there?
學生:我明白了。那么,有多少應聘者呢?
Professor:Let's see, we have 4, all very good candidates, that we will be looking at over the next few weeks.
教授:有四個,都非常優秀,我們在接下來的幾周會一一考察。
It's going to be a tough decision.
這會是個艱難的決定。
But it'll be a good experience for you, especially if you're going to graduate school.
這對你來說也會是個很好的經驗,如果你是在申請研究生時更尤其是。
Student:Thank you. It'll be cool to do this.
學生:謝謝您。做這個應該很好。
I'll get the copy of the schedule from the secretary on my way out.
我會在出去的時候從秘書那兒拿安排。
Professor:You're welcome, seeing you in class this afternoon
教授:不客氣。今天下午上課見。