Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和教授之間的談話。
Student:So Professor Tibets, your notes said that you want to see me about my heavy-weight paper.
學生:Tibets 教授,你的評語寫說要跟我見面談談那篇大部頭的論文。
I have to say that grade wasn't what I was expecting.
我必須要說那個分數實在低于我的預期。
I thought I'd done a pretty good job.
我以為自己寫的還不錯呢。
Professor:Oh, you did. But do you really want to settle for pretty good when you can do something very good?
教授:噢,你確實寫的不錯。但你愿意在明明可以做到“非常好”的情況下僅僅做到“比較好嗎”?
Student:You think it can be very good?
學生:你覺得它可以達到非常好?
Professor:Absolutely!
教授:當然!
Student:Would that mean you'd…I could get a better grade?
學生:這是否意味著,我可以得到一個更好的成績嗎?
Professor:Oh, sorry! It's not for your grade. It's…I think you could learn a lot by revising it.
教授:噢,抱歉!這不是為了你的成績。我覺得你如果修訂一下它,會得到很多收獲。
Student:You mean, rewrite the whole thing?
學生:你的意思是,把原文重寫一遍?
I really swamped.
我忙各種截止期限根本喘不過氣來。
There're deadlines wherever I turn and… and I don't really know how much time I could give it.
我真的不知道自己還能為它付出多少時間。
Professor:Well, it is a busy time, with spring break coming up next week. It's your call.
教授:現在正是忙碌的時候,加上下周春假要來了。由你決定。
But I think with all a little extra effort, you could really turn this into a fine essay.
但我覺得如果付出一點額外的努力,你會把它變成一篇很好的文章。
Student:No… yeah…I mean, after I read your comments, I...I can see how it tries to do too much.
學生:嗯,我的意思是,讀完你的評論,我能明白這篇文章寫的有點過。
Professor:Yeah. It's just too ambitious for the scope of the assignment.
教授:對。在作業的范疇里,它有點太急功近利。
Student:So I should cut out the historical part?
學生:所以我應該刪掉歷史的部分?
Professor:Yes. I would just stick to the topic.
教授:是的。我希望你緊扣主題。
Anything unrelated to the use of nature EMITRY has no place in the paper.
任何跟自然意向的使用這個主題無關的內容都不要在論文中出現。
All that tangential material just distracted from the main argument.
所有這些相關材料都分散了主要內容的注意力。
Student:Yeah, I never know how much to include. You know…where to draw the line?
學生:是的,我非常明白應該包括多少內容。你覺得在什么情況下應該適可而止?
Professor:Tell me about it! All writers struggled without one.
教授:就是這樣。所有作者如果不能把握這個,都會遇到困難。
But it's something you can learn. That will become more clear with practice.
但你能學到一些東西。這在實踐中會更加清晰。
But I think if you just cut out the…elm…
但是我覺得如果你能去掉…
Student:The stuff about history, but if I cut out those sections, won't it be too short?
學生:歷史的東西。但如果我把這部分刪掉,會不會太短了?
Professor:Well, better a short well-structured paper than a long paper that poorly-structured and wanders off topic.
教授:一篇短小精悍、結構優秀的論文總好過結構混亂而又離題的長篇大論。
Student:So all I have to do is to leave those sections?
學生:所以我要做的就是把那些部分都拋開?
Professor:Well, not so fast.
教授:切勿操之過急。
After you cut out those sections, you'll have to go back and revise the rest, to see how it all fits together.
在你刪掉那些部分之后,你要回到文章其他部分,看看它們通不通順。
And of course, you'll have to revise the introduction too, to accurately describe what you do in the body of the paper.
而且當然,你要重寫前言部分,來準確地描述你論文的主體。
But that shouldn't be too difficult. Just remember to keep the discussion focused.
但那應該不難。就記住你的討論要集中力量在重點上。
Do you think you can get it to me by noon tomorrow?
明天中午之前能交給我嗎?
Student:Wow…emm…I have so much…er…but I'll try.
學生:啊…我有那么多的事情,我會盡力而為。
Professor:OK, good! Do try! But if you can't, well, sure for after spring break, OK?
教授:好的!試試看吧!但如果你趕不出來,春假之后一定交上來吧?