重點講解:
1. belong to
屬于;歸…所有;
eg. I used to belong to a youth club.
我過去是一個青年俱樂部的成員。
eg. The house had belonged to her family for three or four generations.
這套房子歸她們家有三四代人了。
2. hitch up
拉起,拴在車上;
eg. Let's hitch up and get out of here.
咱們套車離開這兒。
eg. He hitched his trousers up over his potbelly.
他將褲子向上提,蓋住了自己的啤酒肚。
3. look forward to sth./doing sth.
期待;盼望;預期;預料
eg. Motor traders are looking forward to a further increase in vehicle sales.
汽車經銷商預期汽車銷量會進一步攀升。
eg. I am familiar with his work and look forward to hearing his views on Literary and artistic creation.
我熟悉他的作品,并期待他能就文藝創作問題發表自己的見解。
4. roll around
四處打滾;
eg. Sometimes I go to the gravel pit and roll around in the sand.
有時我會到沙坑里在沙里翻滾取樂。
eg. They want to roll around in the grass, smelling and tasting everything there is.
他們想要在草地上打滾,嗅取和品嘗那里的一切。
背景資料:
杰夫·貝佐斯創辦了全球最大的網上書店Amazon(亞馬遜),并使之成為經營最成功的電子商務網站之一,引領時代潮流。更可貴的是,隨著互聯網泡沫破滅,他面對“破產”的批評,不畏艱辛,在保持交易持續增長的情況下,步步走向盈利,重新樹立起電子商務的信心。貝佐斯儼然是全球電子商務的第一象征。在普林斯頓大學2010年畢業典禮上,杰夫·貝佐斯作為榮譽校友,為畢業生帶來了精彩的演講。杰夫通過童年的故事引出了演講的主題:天賦和選擇,聯絡是一份天賦,善良是一種選擇。杰夫用自己如何放棄高薪職位,在妻子的支持下開創亞馬遜網上書店為便,鼓勵畢業生:未來掌握在自己的手中,追尋自己的夢想,慎重選擇。
名人經典:
Cleverness is a gift, kindness is a choice. Gifts are easy--they're given after all. Choices can be hard. You can seduce yourself with your gifts if you're not careful, and if you do, it'll probably be to the detriment of your choices.
聰明是一種天賦,而善良是一種選擇。天賦得來很容易——畢竟它們與生俱來。而選擇卻頗為艱難。如果一不小心,你可能被天賦所誘惑,這可能會損害到你做出的選擇。