Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a university employee.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和大學職員的對話。
Student:Hi, I need to pick up the gym pass.
學生:嗨,我來拿體育館的通行證。
Employee:OK. I'll need your name, year, and university ID.
職員:好的。我需要你的姓名,年級及學生證。
Student:Here's my ID card. And my name is Gina Kent, and I'm first year.
學生:這是我的學生證。吉娜·肯特,大學一年級。
Employee:OK. Gina. I'll type up the pass for you right away.
職員:好的,吉娜。我現在就把你的通行證打出來。
Student:Great! This is exciting. I can't wait to get started.
學生:太好了!太令人興奮了。我等不及要開始用了。
Employee:Oh, this is a wonderful gym.
職員:噢,這是一個非常好的體育館。
Student:That's what everybody has been saying.
學生:每個人都這么說。
Everyone is talking about the new pool, the new indoor course.
大家都在談論新泳池,新的室內體育課。
But what I love is all the classes.
但我喜歡所有的課。
Employee:The classes…?
職員:課程?
Student:Yes, like the swimming and tennis classes and everything.
學生:是啊,像游泳課,網球課,還有所有其他課。
Employee:Oh yeah, but this pass doesn't entitle you to those.
職員:噢,是的。但這張卡不能給你上這些課的權限。
Student:It doesn't?
學生:不行嗎?
Employee:No, the classes fall into separate category.
職員:不行。這跟上課是兩碼事。
Student:But, that's my whole reason for getting a pass. I mean, I was planning to take a swimming class.
學生:但是,這是我辦通行證的全部理由啊。我的意思是,我本來打算上個游泳課的。
Employee:But that's not how it works.
職員:但這是不行的。
This pass gives you access to the gym and to all the equipment, into the pool and so forth.
這張通行證允許你使用體育館使用所有的器材,使用游泳池等等。
But not with team practicing, so you have to check the schedule.
但不包括參與團隊運動,所以你得核實一下課程安排。
Student:But what do I have to do if I want to take a class?
學生:但如果我想上課,我該做些什么呢?
Employee:You have to:one, register; and two, pay the fee for the class.
職員:你需要注冊;之后付上課的學費。
Student:But that's not fair.
學生:但這不公平。
Employee:Well, I think if you can think about it. You'll see that it's fair.
職員:嗯,我覺得如果你仔細想一想,你就會發現它其實挺公平的。
Student:But people who play sports in the gym… they don't have to pay anything.
學生:可是那些在體育館里做運動的人...他們一分錢都不用付。
Employee:Yes, but they just come in, and play or swim on their own.
職員:是,但他們只是進來,然后自己運動,游泳。
But, taking a class---that is a different story, I mean, someone has to pay the instructor.
但是,上課就不一樣了。我的意思是,總有人得付錢請老師。
Student:So, if I want to enroll in a class.
學生:那,如果我想注冊一門課...
Employee:Then you have to pay extra.
職員:那你就得額外付錢。
The fee isn't very high, but there's a fee. So, what class did you say you want to take?
費用并不是很高,但終歸是要付的。那你想要上什么課?
Student:Swimming…
學生:游泳課。
Employee:OK. Swimming classes are thirty dollars a semester.
職員:好的。游泳課是一學期30美元。
Student:I guess I could swing that.
學生:這我可以接受。
But I'm still not convinced it's fair. So, do I pay you?
但我還是不信服這是公平的。那,錢是付給你嗎?
Employee:Well, first, you need to talk to the instructor.
職員:嗯,首先,你需要跟老師談。
They have to assess your level and steer you into the right class, you know, beginner, intermediate…
他們需要評估你的水平,然后把你排進你適合的班,你知道,初級班,中級班等等。
Student:You mean, I have to swim for them? Show them what I can do?
學生:你的意思還是,我得先給他們游泳,讓他們看看我游得怎么樣?
Employee:No, no, you just tell them a little bit about your experiences and skills, so they know what level you should be in.
職員:不,你只告訴他們一點關于你的經驗和技巧,這樣他們好知道你是什么水平。
Student:Oh, OK. So, I guess I'll need an appointment.
學生:哦,好的。那,我猜我需要做個預約?
Employee:And I can make that for you right now.
職員:我現在就能幫你辦。
And I'll tell up you about your gym ID card.
而且我得跟你講講體育館通行證。
You'll need it to get into the building. Now about that appointment… how does Wednesday at three sounds?
你到時候得用它來進入樓里。現在,關于預約的事... 周三的三點如何?
Student:Fine…
學生:好的。
Employee:OK. Then you'll be meeting with Mark Guess.
職員:好的,那么你會跟馬克·蓋斯見面。
He's a swimming instructor. He also coaches the swim team. And here, I've jotted it all down for you.
他是游泳老師。還是游泳隊的教練。這兒,我幫你都寫下來了。
Student:Great! Thanks.
學生:太好了!非常感謝你。