Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.
獨白:請聽一段學生和教授之間的對話。
Professor:Hey, Jane, you look like you are in a hurry.
教授:Hey,Jane,你著急什么呢?
Student:Yeah, things are a little crazy.
學生:呃,事情有點瘋狂。
Professor:Oh yeah? What's going on?
教授:哦?出什么事了?
Student:Oh, it's nothing. Well, since it's your class, I guess it's OK.
學生:哦,沒什么事。就是,這是你的課,我想沒事的。
It's, it's just I am having trouble with my group project.
就是,就是分組計劃可能有些問題了。
Professor:Ah, yes, due next week. What's your group doing again?
教授:啊是的,下周之前完成,你的組又干什么了?
Student:It's about United States Supreme Court Decisions.
學生:是關于美國最高法院決議。
We are looking at the impact of recent cases on property rights, municipal land use cases, owning disputes.
我們正在研究最近的案子對美國產權,城市用地法案,所有權沖突的影響。
Professor:Right, OK. And it's not going well?
教授:好的,進展的不順利嗎?
Student:Not really.
學生:不太順利,
I'm worried about other two people in my group.
我現在擔心組里的其他兩個人。
They are just sitting back,
他們只是袖手旁觀,
not really doing their fair share of the work and waiting for an A.
沒有完成他們分內的工作,卻妄想著要拿到 A。
It's kind of stressing me out, because we are getting close to the deadline and I feel like I'm doing everything for this project.
這讓我感到有點壓力,因為截止日期快到了,我感覺整個項目都我一人在做。
Professor:Ah, the good old free writer problem.
教授:啊,又是這樣 free writer problem 的問題。
Student:Free writer?
學生:什么意思?
Professor:Ah, it's just a term that describes this situation, when people in the group seek to get the benefits of being in a group without contributing to the work.
教授:啊,就是指一組人在沒有給組里做出貢獻的情況下還想得到好處的情況。
Anyway, what exactly do you mean when you say they just sit back?
不管怎樣。你說他們袖手旁觀是怎樣的情況?
I mean, they've been following the weekly progress repots with me.
因為一直都有完成每周的進度報告。
Student:Yes, but I feel like I'm doing 90% of the work.
學生:對。但感覺我做了 90%的工作。
I hate to sound so negative here,
我真不喜歡說這些消極的話,
but honestly, they are taking credit for things they shouldn't take credit for.
但是,說實話,他們會因此拿到學分,而這些學分他們是不該拿的。
Like last week in the library,
就像上周在圖書館那樣,
we decided to split up the research into 3 parts and each of us was supposed to find sources in the library for our parts.
我們決定將研究分為三個部分,每個人應該負責自己的那部分在圖書館找相應的資料。
I went off to the stack and found some really good material for my part,
我在書架上找到對我負責的部分很好的資料,
but when I got back to our table, they were just goofing off and talking.
但當我回去的時候,他們卻在偷懶聊天。
So I went and got materials for their sections as well.
所以我只好也給他們負責的那部分找資料去了。
Professor:Um…you know you shouldn't do that.
教授:嗯,你不應該那樣做的。
Student:I know, but I didn't want to risk the project going down the drain.
學生:我知道,但是那樣的話項目可能流于無形,我可不想冒險。
Professor:I know Teresa and Kevin.
教授:我認識 Teresa 和 Kevin。
I had both of them on other courses.
我在其他課上教過他們。
So, I'm familiar with the work and work habits.
我對他們的工作和工作習慣很熟悉。
Student:I know, me too.
學生:我知道,我也是。
That's why this has really surprised me.
這就是為什么這件事讓我對他們感到很驚訝。
Professor:Do you…does your group like your topic?
教授:你是不是。。你的組員喜歡你們的話題嗎?
Student:Well, I think we'd all rather focus on cases that deal with personal liberties, questions about freedom of speech, things like that.
學生:嗯,我想我們會將精力集中于個人自由,像言論自由的問題,
But I chose property rights.
但是我選擇了財產權作為主題。
Professor:You chose the topic?
教授:你選的主題?
Student:Yeah, I thought it would be good for us, all of us to try something new.
學生:是的。我想這對我們都好,我們都嘗試一些新東西。
Professor:Um…maybe that's part of the problem.
教授:嗯,也許這就是問題之一。
Maybe Teresa and Kevin aren't that excited about the topic?
也許 Teresa 和 Kevin 對這個話題不感冒?
And since you picked it, have you thought…talk to them at all about picking a different topic?
還有,主題是你選的,你有想過。。跟他們講關于話題選定的問題嗎?
Student:But we've got all the sources and it's due next week.
學生:但我們所有材料都準備了,下周就到期了。
We don't have time to start from scratch.
我們沒有時間從頭再來。
Professor:OK, I will let you go 'cause I know you are so busy.
教授:好,我會放寬期限因為我知道你很忙,
But you might consider talking to your group about your topic choice.
但是你也許可以考慮跟你的組員談關于話題選定的問題。
Student:I will think about it. Got to run, see you in class.
學生:我會考慮的。我要走了,課堂上見。