We were all laughing and smiling now.
這回我們都開懷大笑。
Well,John,I said.
嗨,約翰,我說道,
If we're so rich,can I have a new door?
要是我們有了錢,可得給我買一扇新門啦?
I can't mend this one again—it's too old.
這扇破門再也不能修了—它太舊了。
That summer the plague came back.
那年夏天,瘟疫卷土重來。
By July a thousand people were dying every week in London.
到7月,倫敦每星期都有上千人瀕臨死亡。
One of them was the little son of Will's friend,Ben Jonson.
其中就有威爾好友本·瓊生的小兒子。
By the end of the year there were 33,000 dead in England.
時至年底,英國有3萬3千人死于瘟疫。
The theatres closed,and the King's Men went on tour.
劇院被封,國王劇團開始下鄉演戲。
Will and I spent the summer at Stratford.
那年夏天,威爾和我返回斯特拉福鎮。
When Christmas came,the King's Men put on a lot of plays at court.
到圣誕節來臨,國王劇團入宮演出了很多出戲。
The King was at Hampton Court Palace that year,which was outside London,well away from the plague.
那年,國王到倫敦境外的漢普敦宮躲避瘟疫。
I couldn't go because I fell off my horse one day and broke my leg.
由于我不幸落馬摔斷腿而不能入宮。
Stupid thing to do!
真是倒霉!
I had to stay at home,but Will told me all about it when he came back.
只得呆在家里,不過,威爾一回來就會告訴我入宮演出的情況: