Listen to part of a lecture in an Art History class.
請聽下面藝術歷史課程的其中一部分。
The professor has been discussing the origins of art.
這位教授一直在討論藝術的起源。
Some of the world's oldest preserved art is the cave of Europe, most of it in Spain and France.
世界上最古老的一些保存藝術位于歐洲的洞穴中,大多數是在西班牙和法國。
And the earliest cave paintings found to date are those of the Chauvet Cave in France discovered in 1994.
而迄今為止發現的最早洞穴壁畫是在1994年的法國夏維特山洞中發現。
And you know, I remember when I heard about the results of the dating of the Chauvet paintings,
而且如你們所知,我記得在自己聽到夏維特巖畫的結果時,
I said to my wife, “Can you believe these paintings are over 30,000 years old?”
我對妻子說道:“你能相信這些畫超過30000歲嗎?”
And my 3-year-old daughter piped up and said, “Is that older than my great-grandmother?”
這時我3歲的女兒大聲說道:“比我的曾祖母還要大嗎?”
That was the oldest age she knew.
那是她所知道的最大的年齡。
And you know, come to think of it.
而且正如你們所知,現在想想。
It's pretty hard for me to really understand how long 30,000 years is too.
我很難真正理解30000年到底有多久。
I mean, we tend to think that people who lived at that time must have been pretty primitive.
我的意思是,我們傾向于認為在那個時間段生活的人們一定非常原始。
But I'm gonna show you some slides in a few minutes and I think you will agree with me that this art is anything but primitive.
但是我將在在幾分鐘展示給你們一些幻燈片,而我認為你們會認同我的觀點,這些藝術品的起源非常早。
They are masterpieces.
它們是杰作。
And they look so real, so alive that it's very hard to imagine that they are so very old.
它們看起來如此真實,如此鮮活,很難想象它們已經非常古老。
Now, not everyone agrees on exactly how old.
現在,不是每個人都確切認同它們到底有多大。
A number of the Chauvet paintings have been dated by a lab to 30,000 or more years ago.
而很多的夏維特巖畫已經被一個實驗室計算出在30000多年甚至更早以前。
That would make them not just older than any other cave art,
這使它們的年齡不只比任何其他洞穴藝術還要大,
but about twice as old as the art in the caves at Altamira or Lascaux, which you may have heard of.
而且是可能你已經聽說過的阿爾塔米拉及拉斯科古老藝術洞穴的2倍。