Listen to a conversation between a student and a librarian.
聽下面一個學生和圖書管理員的對話。
Can I help you?
有什么能為你效勞的嗎?
Yeah, I need to find a review.
是的,我需要找到一篇評論。
It's for my English class.
我的英語課要用到。
We have to find reviews of the play we are reading.
我們必須找到我們正在閱讀戲劇的評論。
But they have to be from when the play was first performed,
但這必須是在戲劇第一次演出時候的評論,
so I need to know when that was and I suppose I should start with newspaper reviews and…
所以我需要知道確切是什么時候,而且我想自己應該從報紙評論及別的什么開始找起。
Contemporary reviews.
當代評論。
Sorry?
抱歉?
You want contemporary reviews.
你需要當代評論。
What's the name of the play?
那出劇的名字是什么?
It's Happy Strangers.
它叫做《快樂的陌生人》。
It was written in 1962 and we are supposed to write about its influence on American theatre and show why it's been so important.
它創作于1962年,我們打算寫關于它對美國劇院的影響并展示它的重要作用。
Well, that certainly explains why your professor wants you to read some of those old reviews.
嗯,那就可以理解為什么你的教授要你們讀一些舊的評論。
The critiques really tore the play to pieces when it opened.
當這劇開演的時候那些批評真的快要將其炮轟的體無完膚。
It's so controversial.
如潮而至的爭議。
Nobody had ever seen anything like it on the stage.
沒有人曾見過這樣的一出舞臺劇。
Really? Is that a big deal?
真的嗎?它有這么大的影響力?
Oh, sure.
哦,當然。
Of course the critiques' reaction made some people kind of curious about it.
當然這些批評的反應引起了一些人對它的好奇。
They wanted to see what's causing all the fuss.
他們想知道是什么招來了這些抱怨。
In fact, we were on vacation in New York.
事實上,當時我們是在紐約度假。
Oh, I had to be, eh, around 16 or so, and my parents took me to see it.
哦,那時的我應該是,嗯,大約16歲,而我的父母曾帶我去看過它。
That would've been about 1965.
那時候大約是1965年。
So that was the year premier, great, but eh, newspaper from back then weren't online, so, how do I…
所以那一年,嗯,不錯,但當時沒有在線報紙,那我該如何是好…
Well, we have copies of all the newspapers in the basement, and all the major papers publish reference guides to their articles reviews, etc.
嗯,我們在地下室有所有的報紙復印件及所有主要文章出版過的參考指南評論等。
You will find them in the reference stacks in the back.
你在后面的參考堆中可以找到。
But I start with 1964, so I think the play had been running for a little while when I saw it.
但我會從1964年開始,所以當我想自己看的時候這劇已經演了一段時間。
How do you like it?
你喜歡它什么呢?
I mean just two characters on the stage hanging around and basically doing nothing.
我的意思是只有兩個人物在舞臺上無所事事,基本上什么都不做。
Well, I was impressed.
嗯,那出劇給我的印象非常深刻。
The actors were famous, and besides it was my first time in a real theatre.
演員很著名,而且這是我第一次在真正的劇院觀看演出。
But you are right.
但你是對的。
It was definitely different from many plays that we read in high school.
它絕對不同于我們所讀高中的許多劇本。
Of course, in a small town the assignments are pretty traditional.
當然,在一個小鎮所布置的作業是非常傳統的。
Yeah, I've only read it but it doesn't seem like it would be much fun to watch.
是的,我只拜讀過,但看起來它不像是很有意思。
The story doesn't progress in any sort of logical matter, doesn't have real ending either, just stops.
這個故事沒有任何合乎邏輯的進展,沒有真正的結束,只是戛然而止。
Honestly, you know, I thought it was kind of slow and boring.
老實說,你知道,我認為這有點拖沓而且顯得無聊。
Oh, well I guess you might think that.
哦,好吧,我猜你可能就是這樣認為。
But when I saw it back then it was anything but boring.
但我當時看的時候可一點都不無聊。
Some parts were really funny, but I remember crying too.
一些橋段是真的有趣,但是我記得也為之哭過。
But I'm not sure just reading it.
但我不確定只是讀過就能擁有一樣的感覺。
You know, they've done this play at least once on campus.
你知道,他們已經至少一次在校園里演出。
I'm sure there is a tape of the play in our video library.
我相信在我們的視頻庫有一盒這出劇的磁帶。
You might want to borrow it.
你可能會想借。
That's a good idea.
太好了。
I'll have a better idea of what I really think of it before I read those reviews.
在我讀那些評論前,我真的覺得自己會有真實的想法。
I'm sure you will be surprised that anyone ever found it radical.
我相信你會感到驚訝,有人發現它激進。
But you will see why it is still powerful, dramatically speaking.
但是絲毫不夸張的說,你會明白為什么它仍然那么有感染力。
Yeah, it must be something about it, or the professor wouldn't have assigned it.
是的,一定是關于其中的一些東西,否則教授不會指派它。
I'm sure I'll figure it out.
我相信我會發現其中的奧秘。