What's happened?I asked.What is it?
發生什么事了?我問道,到底怎么了?
He looked at me.Hamnet… he began.
他望著我。哈姆奈特……,他開口說道,
Hamnet was ill last week,and…and he died,yesterday.
上星期哈姆奈特病倒了,可是……可是他昨天死了。
He was only eleven,Toby,and he's dead.My boy.
他才11歲呀,托比,可他卻死了。
My only son.He's dead,Toby.Dead.
我的孩子。我唯一的兒子。托比,他死了,死了。
He put his face in his hands.
他雙手掩面哭了。
What Can you say to a man when something like that happens to him?
發生這樣的事你又能說什么來安慰他呢?
I sat down next to him and put my hand on his arm.
我挨著他坐下,把手放在他的胳膊上,
We sat together,silently.
就這樣并排靜靜地坐著。
I knew that Will loved that boy of his—red-haired,bright as a new penny,
我知道威爾很疼愛這個兒子——他長著紅色閃著光澤的頭發,聰明伶俐、
full of life.Just like his father.
生氣勃勃,很像他父親。