Listen to a conversation between a student and a librarian.
請聽一段學生和圖書管理員之間的對話。
Can I help you?
有什么可以幫你的?
Yeah, I need to find a review.
呃,我需要找一本戲劇的評論。
It's for my English class.
是英語課上需要的。
We have to find reviews of the play we are reading.
我們必須找我們正在讀的戲劇的評論,
But they have to be from when the play was first performed, so I need to
know when that was and I suppose I should start with newspaper reviews and ?
但是評論必須是那些從戲劇一上映就有的評論,所以我需要知道具體時間,我想我應該從報紙評論
開始...
Contemporary reviews.
當代評論。
Sorry?
不好意思,什么?
You want contemporary reviews.
你需要的是當代評論。
What's the name of the play?
那部戲劇的名字是什么?
It's Happy Strangers.
叫做《快樂的陌生人》,
It was written in 1962 and we are supposed to write about its influence on
American theatre and show why it's been so important.
寫于1962年。我們應該寫的內容是關于其對美國戲劇界的影響以及表明為什么該部戲劇一直都這么
重要。
Well, that certainly explains why your professor wants you to read some of
those old reviews.
嗯,這就說明了為什么你的教授要你去讀那些以前的評論了。
The critiques really tore the play to pieces when it opened.
在該部戲劇開始時,當時的評論著實將其批得體無完膚。
It's so controversial.
這是一部富有爭論性的戲劇。
Nobody had ever seen anything like it on the stage.
沒人看到過這種舞臺表演。
Really?
真的嗎?
Is that a big deal?
這有什么大不了的?
Oh, sure.
噢,當然了。
Of course the critiques' reaction made some people kind of curious about
it.
評論的反應讓某些人對該部戲劇充滿好奇。
They wanted to see what's causing all the fuss.
他們要知道是什么原因惹來這樣的惡評。
In fact, we were on vacation in New York.
事實上,我們當時正在紐約度假。
Oh, I had to be, eh, around 16 or so, and my parents took me to see it.
噢,我當時已經,呃,差不多16歲了,我父母親給我看了評論。
That would've been about 1965.
但是應該是1965年了。
So that was the year premier, great, but eh, newspaper from back then were
not online, so,how do I...
那么1965就是首發那年,太好了,但,呃,當時的報紙沒有電子版的,那,我要怎么辦?
Well, we have copies of all the newspapers in the basement, and all the major papers
publish reference guides to their articles reviews,etc.
嗯,我們地下室里有舊報紙的復印版,還有各大主要報紙發表的文章評論索引等等。
You will find them in the reference stacks in the back.
你可以在后面的索引行找到。
But I start with 1964, so I think the play had been running for a little
while when I saw it.
但我要從1964年開始,所以我想在我看到這部戲劇之前它應該已經上映一段時間了。
How do you like it?
你喜歡嗎?
I mean just two characters on the stage hanging around and basically doing
nothing.
我是說舞臺上只有兩個角色,他們基本上沒做什么事情。
Well, I was impressed.
嗯,我對其印象深刻。
The actors were famous, and besides it was my first time in a real theatre.
演員都很出名,此外,那是我第一次在劇院看戲。
But you are right.
但你說得對,
It was definitely different from many plays that we read in high school.
這部戲跟我高中時看到的都截然不同。
Of course, in a small town the assignments are pretty traditional.
當然,在小鎮里的舞臺表演都很傳統。
Yeah, I've only read it but it does not seem like it would be much fun to
watch.
是的,我也只是看過,而似乎沒有什么興趣去觀看舞臺表演。
The story does not progress in any sort of logical matter, does not have
real ending either,just stops.
故事不是被常規邏輯方式演繹出來,也沒有一個真正的結尾。
Honestly, you know, I thought it was kind of slow and boring.
說實在的,我覺得發展得有點慢,挺無聊的。
Oh, well I guess you might think that.
哦,我想你也可能這么想的。
But when I saw it back then it was anything but boring.
但當我回頭再看一遍的時候,卻覺得一點也不無聊,
Some parts were really funny, but I remember crying too.
某些部分真的挺有趣的,我記得我被感動到哭過。
But I'm not sure just reading it.
但我不確定僅僅是讀了戲本就哭了。
You know, they've done this play at least once on campus.
你知道,他們至少在校園里面有過一次舞臺演出。
I'm sure there is a tape of the play in our video library.
我敢說在我們學校的音像圖書館上會有該劇的記錄,
You might want to borrow it.
你也許可以借出。
That's a good idea.
好主意。
I'll have a better idea of what I really think of it before I read those
reviews.
這樣在我讀這些評論之前我可以更清楚我是怎么看待這部劇的。
I'm sure you will be surprised that anyone ever found it radical.
每個人都覺得這部劇很激進,我相信你會覺得驚訝。
But you will see why it is still powerful, dramatically speaking.
但你會明白會為什么其經久不衰,夸張一點說。
Yeah, it must be something about it, or the professor would not have
assigned it.
對,肯定有什么出彩的地方,不然教授不會布置這樣的作業的。
I'm sure I'll figure it out.
我肯定會探出個究竟。