"Are you Evrémonde?"
"你是埃弗蒙嗎?"
"Yes,"replied Darnay.
"是的 。"代爾那回答 。
"You will go to the prison of La Force!"
"你要進拉弗爾斯監獄 。"
"But why?'"asked Darnay."Under what law?"
"可是為什么?"代爾那問 。"依據什么法律?"
"We have new laws, Evrémonde,"said the official sharply,
"我們有了新的法律,埃弗蒙,"那個官員厲聲說 。
"and emigrants have no rights. You will be held in secret. Take him away."
"流亡者沒有權利;你將被秘密關押起來 。把他帶走!"
As Darnay left, the first official said quietly to him,
代爾那正要走,第一位官員悄聲問他:
"Are you the man who married the daughter of Dr Manette?"
"你是和馬內特醫生的女兒結婚的那個人嗎?"
"Yes,"replied Darnay in surprise.
"是呀."代爾那驚訝地口答 。
"My name is Defarge and I have a wine-shop in Saint Antoine.
"我叫得法熱,我在圣安東尼有一家酒店,
Perhaps you have heard of me."
也許你聽說過我 。"
"Yes. My wife came to your house to find her father."
"是的,我妻子曾去你家里找回了他父親 。"
"Why did you come back to France? It will be very bad for you."
"你為什么要回法國呢?這對你太糟糕了 。"
Darnay was taken to the prison of La Force
代爾那被送進了拉弗爾斯監獄,
and put in a cold empty room with a locked door and bars across the windows.
而且被關進一個寒冷而空蕩的房間 。門上了鎖,窗戶封了鐵條 。
He thought of Dr Manette and his many years alone, forgotten, in the Bastille.
他想起了馬內特醫生在巴士底獄里多年孤獨和被人遺忘的日子 。
"Now I, too, have been buried alive,"he thought.
"現在,我也被活埋了 。"他想著 。
人物簡介:
果然,他最后實踐了自己的諾言,為了路希的幸福,頂替達爾奈走上斷頭臺,含著微笑,寧靜地走完了人生最后的路 。作者認為此舉乃是人道主義最美的篇章 。狄更斯認為,無論是貴族的暴力還是革命的暴力,通通應予以廢除;凡施暴力于別人者,都沒有好下場 。只有高踞于任何暴力之上的人道的化身卡爾登才是不朽的 。