What’s for dinner?
晚餐吃什么?
Well, Avis said she’d be here. Even if we were late.
Avis說她會來車站接我們的 我們都遲到了
Well, if she’s not here, we can take a taxi.
如果她不來,我們就坐的士去
They probably have taxis in Boston.
波士頓應該有的士吧
She’ll be here. Wearing a plaid jacket.
她會來接我們的,她穿了格子外套
That’s how I’m to recognize her.
我能認出她
What do you mean, "recognize her"? Has she changed?
你說啥?認出她? 她變樣了嗎?
Well...
呃…
"Look for the middle-aged woman in a plaid jacket."
注意一個穿蘇格蘭呢子外套的中年女性
- So... - You and Avis have never met?
- 哦… - 你們還沒有見過面嗎?
We’re just pen pals.
我們只是筆友
You don’t know each other?
你們不認識?
Well, we do. We write.
我們當然認識,我們寫信交流
But how did you start writing one another?
你們是怎么相識的?
That’s a long story.
這就說來話長了
Avis’ husband, Bernard De Voto, now dead, was a wonderful, wonderful writer.
Avis的丈夫Bernard De Voto 當初是很棒很棒的作家,現在不在了
He wrote an article in Harper’s Magazine all about stainless steel knives
他專為Harper雜志寫關于 不銹鋼刀的文章
- and how he absolutely detested them. - Yes.
- 寫他有多么討厭它們 - 恩
And so I wrote him a fan letter because he was 100% right
然后我給他寫了一封讀者來信 支持他的觀點
and Avis wrote me back.
后來Avis給我回信了