First, she taught me how to read.
首先,她教會了我認字。
She also taught me that when I forgave Sis for our squabbles, it meant I wouldn't keep feeling like a victim.
而且,在她身上我還學會一樣東西,讓我不再記恨于與我爭吵的姐姐,讓我不再覺得委屈,
Instead, I would feel sunny.
心情因此也就開朗起來。
Mr. Dinking, the local banker, tried to foreclose on Greta's house and land after her husband passed away.
在葛麗塔的丈夫去世后,當地的銀行家丁肯先生曾經要收取她抵押給了銀行的房子。
Thanks to Pa and Uncle Johan, Greta got to keep everything.
幸虧有爸爸和約翰叔叔的幫忙,葛麗塔才保住了一切。
Pa said that it was the least he could do for someone talented enough to teach me to read!
爸爸說,對一位聰明得能教會我認字的人,這只是他力所能及的一件小事!
Soon folks were coming from miles around to buy Greta's homemade cakes, pies, breads, cookies, cider, and ice cream.
很快,方圓數英里的人們都來買葛麗塔做的蛋糕、餡餅、面包、曲奇餅、蘋果酒和冰淇淋。
Hank, the grocery store man, came each week to stock his shelves and bring Greta supplies.
每周,雜貨店老板漢克都會給她送來材料,并從她那里進貨。
Greta even had me take a big apple pie to Mr. Dinking who became one of her best customers and friends.
葛麗塔甚至讓我給丁肯先生送去一個大蘋果餡餅。他也成為了她的顧客和朋友。
That's just how Greta was.
這就是葛麗塔。
She could turn anyone into a friend!
她可以把任何人都變成朋友!
Greta always said, "Dear, keep walking in sunshine!"
葛麗塔常說:親愛的,記得要走在陽光里!”
No matter how terrible my day started, I always felt sunny walking home from Greta's house-even beneath the winter starlight.
每天,不管一開始怎么糟糕,從葛麗塔的小屋走回家時,即使是披著冬夜的星光,我都會感覺心情舒暢。
I arrived at Greta's house today just after sunset.
這天,太陽剛下山我就來到葛麗塔家了。
An ambulance had stopped a few feet from her door, it's red lights flashing.
她門前幾尺外已然停著一輛救護車。車上的紅燈閃爍不停。
When I ran into the old house, Greta recognized me right away.
當我沖入那所舊房子時,葛麗塔立刻認出了我.
She smiled at me with her unforgettable twinkling blue eyes.
她沖我微微一笑,令人難忘的那雙藍眼睛閃著光芒。
She was almost out of breath when she reached out and softly touched my arm.
當她伸手輕撫我的手臂時,她已經奄奄一息了。
Her last words to me were "Dear, keep walking in sunshine!"
她最后對我說的話是:親愛的,記得要走在陽光里!”
I'm sure that Greta is walking in the brightest sunshine she's ever seen.
我肯定葛麗塔此時正漫步在她所見過的最明媚的陽光里。
And, I'm sure that she heard every word I read at her memorial service.
我也肯定她聽見了我在她的追悼儀式上所念的每一個字。
I chose a beautiful verse by Leo Buscaglia. It's one that Greta taught me to read many years ago…
我選了利奧?巴斯卡格里亞的一首優美的詩,正是那首葛麗塔多年前教我念的詩。
Love can never grow old. Locks may lose their brown and gold.
愛能歷久常新。華發或會失去原有的光彩。
Cheeks may fade and hollow grow.
雙頰或會日顯消瘦黯淡。
But the hearts that love will know, never winter's frost and chill, summer's warmth is in them still.
然而,有愛的心中,從無寒冬霜冰,只有夏之溫熱。