Years of storms had taken their toll on the old windmill.
多年的風雨毀壞了古老的風車。
Its wheel, rusted and fallen, lay silent in the lush bluegrass.
車輪已經銹了,倒了,靜靜地躺臥在茂盛的六月禾叢中。
Its once animated silhouette was now a tall motionless steeple in the twilight sun.
在落日的襯托下,曾經散發著生氣的風車如今如聳立的尖塔般冰冷、生硬。
I hadn't walked across our old farm in fifteen years.
我已經有十五年沒有走過我們的農場了。
Yet the sensations came flooding back.
然而,那些感覺又洶涌而至。
I could smell the freshness of new mown alfalfa.
我仿佛聞到了新割的苜蓿的清新氣息,
I could feel the ping of the ice cold summer rain, and the sun's sudden warmth on my wet shoulders when it reappeared after a brisk July thunderstorm.
感覺到了冰冷夏雨敲打在身上,還有七月的雨后陽光照射在濕漉漉的身上驟然傳來的暖意。
Rain or shine, I used to walk this path each day to see Greta.
無論雨天或晴天,我曾經天天沿著這條小徑去探望葛麗塔。
She always made me smile, even after Sis and I had just had a big squabble.
即使我剛和姐姐大吵了一場,她也總能使我舒懷微笑。
I would help Greta with her chores.
我會幫葛麗塔做些家務。
Then we would visit over a generous helping of her delicious homemade chocolate cookies and ice cream.
然后,我們會大快朵頤,品嘗她親手做的巧克力曲奇餅和冰淇淋。
Being confined to a wheel chair didn't stop Greta from being a fabulous cook.
以輪椅代步并不妨礙她成為一名出色的廚師。
Greta gave me two of the greatest gifts I've ever received.
葛麗塔送給我兩件最了不起的禮物。