The River Crossing
橫渡河流
The fall foliage had turned colors.
秋天,樹葉改變了顏色。
The weather forecast indicated sunshine and cool temperatures.
氣象預報說天氣晴朗,氣溫涼爽。
It was a wonderful day to be outside.
這是一個外出的好日子。
I folded my notepaper and headed for the library.
我折疊起筆記本,往圖書館走去。
As I walked along the river towards the ford, I thought about my forefathers.
我一邊沿著河邊朝淺灘走去,一邊想我的祖先們。
Did they have the foresight to predict how strong this nation would become?
他們是否有遠見預知這個國家將變得何等強大?
My early forebears were simple farmers.
我早期的祖先們是淳樸的農民。
They were probably too busy to foresee anything.
他們可能忙得沒有時間預見任何事情。
Little did they know that they were the forerunners for modern agriculture?
他們并不知道自己是現代農業的先驅。
Because of their efforts, the pioneers who followed didn't have to forage for food.
由于他們的努力,他們以后的先鋒們就不用搜尋食物了。
However, it wasn't long before agriculture gave way to industrialization.
然而,不久以后,農業就被工業化取代了。
Our country's rapid advances during the industrial revolution foreshadowed its development into the world's most powerful nation.
我們國家在工業革命時期的迅速發展預示著它將成為世界上最強大的國家。
Presently, we're at the forefront of high technology.
現在,我們處于高科技的最前沿。
There's no reason why we can't continue to foment high-level development.
我們沒有理由不繼續促進高水平的發展。
Perhaps we should limit the number of military forays into foreign countries and concentrate on domestic matters.
或許我們應該限制對外國的軍事偷襲的次數,把精力集中在國內事務上。
An expensive folly could significantly inhibit our economic growth.
一個代價高昂的愚蠢的舉動可能嚴重阻礙我國經濟的增長。
My thoughts were beginning to digress.
我的思想開始開小差了。
Today, my foremost concern should be to research the folklore of my home country so that I can finish the footnote to my report.
今天,我最主要關心的應該是研究祖國的民間傳說,那樣我就可以完成我的報告的腳注了。
As I arrived at the ford in the river, I pulled up my pant legs and prepared to cross.
我來到河的淺灘處,挽起褲腿,準備趟過去。
There was a sign there.
那有一塊牌子,
It said that the law forbids anyone from entering the river.
寫明法律禁止任何人進入這條河。
I ignored the sign and started to cross.
我不理會牌子,開始趟水。
Then I saw a police officer with a forbidding look on his face.
然后,我看到一位警官,一臉令人生畏的表情。
As I backed out of the river water, I wondered what my forebears would have though if they had had to put up with so many silly laws.
我從河水中退出去的時候想,如果祖先們必須忍受那么多愚蠢的法律,不知道他們做何感想。