Never Too Busy
永不太忙
“It would be a major feat if I can make it through today,” Ruth said.
“如果我能完成今天所有的任務,那該是一大壯舉。”魯思說。
“I have to wake up early to feed my dog. He's been looking feeble, but I think he's just feigning for attention.
“我必須要早起喂狗。他看上去很衰弱,不過我想他是為了讓我關心他而假裝的。
Then I have to submit my report on feminism.
然后,我得交關于女權運動的報告,
I have to ferret out my original research.
還得搜出研究論文的原稿。
I'm not a feminist, so it has been very difficult for me to write about it.
我不是女權主義者,所以寫著方面的文章很不容易。
At 8:00 a.m., I have fencing class.
上午八點我要上擊劍課,
Then I have wine making class.
然后是釀酒工藝課。
We're learning about the fermentation process.
目前我們在學發酵過程。
I think we'll be fermenting red grapes.”
我想我們就要會釀制紅葡萄酒了。”
“Don't you have any breaks?” Lydia asked.
“沒有休息一下嗎?”利迪婭問。
“No,” replied Ruth.
“沒有,”魯思說,
“I'll be riding the ferry across the river to the zoo.
“我要開渡船過河去動物園,
I'll be visiting a pair of panda bears.
去看一對熊貓。
The female has reached a fertile age.
那只雌熊貓已經到了繁殖年齡,
The zoo is hoping that the male will fertilize her.
動物園希望雄熊貓能使她受精。
After that, I'll be viewing the fertilized egg of an ostrich.”
然后我還要去察看鴕鳥的受精卵。”
“What's next?” Lydia asked.
“接下來呢?”利迪婭問。
“I need to spread fertilizer on the grass in the front yard,” Ruth replied,
“我要給前院的草地施肥,”魯思回答,
“Then I need to check the wound on my dog's paw.
“然后要檢查一下小狗爪子的傷口,
I'm afraid it might fester if I don't get medicine for it.”
我擔心如果不給它上點藥,傷口會化膿的。”
“Do you feel fettered by your dog?” asked Lydia.
“你覺得小狗拖累你嗎?”利迪婭問。
“No, I am a fervent animal lover,” replied Ruth.
“不,我對小動物有著強烈的愛。”魯思回答。
“Any of my dog's sad eyes always stirs the fervor in my heart.”
“愛犬悲傷的眼神總會激起我心中的熱情。”
“What will you be doing in the afternoon?” Lydia asked.
“那下午做什么?”利迪婭問。
“I have to finish my report on the feudal warlords of the 19th century,” Ruth said. “What is a feud, anyway?”
“必須寫完一份關于19世紀封建軍閥的報告,”魯思說,“到底什么是不共戴天之仇?”
“It's what you and I are going to have if you don't save some time for me,” replied Lydia.
“就是指如果你不再留些時間給我,我們之間就回產生的東西。”利迪婭回答。
“It's my birthday and I'm feeling a bit sad.”
“今天是我的生日,我感到 有些悲哀。”
“How about a festive drink at 8:00 p.m.?” Ruth asked.
“那晚上八點來一次節日酒宴怎么樣?”魯思問。