The Proposal
建議
“Don't pay any attention to the facade,” said Ruth.
“別注意飯店的正面,”魯絲說,
“The external part of the restaurant is being renovated.
“它外面的部分正在重修,
It's much nicerinside.” Ruth had extolled the restaurant so much that Linda felt compelled to try it.
內部要漂亮的多?!濒斀z對飯店大為贊賞,琳達覺得非得進去去試試。
Linda sat down and stared at the menu. “The prices are extravagant.”
琳達坐下來,瞪大眼睛看著菜單:“價格太高了。”
“Don't worry, I'll treat you,” Ruth replied.
“不必擔心,我請客?!濒斀z回答,
She had an exuberant smile.
她興高采烈地笑著,
“Don't you think this place exudes charm? Even the napkins are made of special fabric.”
“你不認為這個地方魅力四射嗎?就連餐巾都是由特別織物做的。”
“I thought places like this were extinct in our district,” Linda said.
“我認為這樣的地方在我們地區已經滅絕了?!绷者_說,
She lit a cigarette and began to smoke.
她點著一只煙開始抽起來。
“Speaking of extinction, you're not going to be in existence for much longer if you keep smoking,” Ruth said.
“說我‘滅絕',如果你繼續抽煙,你也不會活多久。”魯絲說,
Ruth thought Linda's extremities were losing color due to her smoking.
魯絲認為琳達的雙手由于吸煙正在失去光澤。
“Besides, it's against the law to smoke in a public restaurant.”
“而且,在公共飯店吸煙是違法的?!?/div>
Just then, a police officer approached.
正說著,一個警官過來了。
“Madam, please extinguish your cigarette,” the policeman said.
“小姐,請滅掉你的煙?!本僬f,
“I'm not trying to extort money from you but the law requires that you pay me a $300 fine.”
“我不是在勒索你,但法律規定,你得交300美元的罰款。”
The officer turned to Ruth. “You're an eyewitness.”
他又轉向魯絲,“你是目擊人。”
“Well, you're going to have to extract it from somebody else because I don't have $300,” Linda said.
“那么,你得從別人那兒榨取這筆錢,因為我沒有300美元?!绷者_說。
Ruth and the police officer laughed.
魯絲和警官都笑了。
“He's being facetious,” Ruth said.
“他在開玩笑?!濒斀z解釋說,
“This is my boyfriend, James. He's humorous, isn't he?”
“這是我的男朋友,詹姆斯。他很幽默,不是嗎?”
Linda wasn't amused. “Sure,” Linda said.
琳達可不覺得好笑,“的確,”她說,
“His joke was an funny as my last facelift.
“他的玩笑跟我上次整容一樣荒唐,
Next time, just tell me a fable.”
下次直接跟我講個神話得了?!?/div>
“I thought it might facilitate your effort to quit smoking,” James said.
“我原以為這會促使你努力戒煙,”詹姆斯,
“I'm dory if my facile effort upset you.
“如果我輕率淺薄的做飯冒犯了你,
Come to the police facility someday and I'll show you around.
我像你道歉。改天到警察署來,我帶你參觀。
However, the real reason I'm here is to give Ruth this diamond ring.”
不過,我來這兒的真正原因是送給魯絲這個鉆石戒指。”
“It was so many beautiful facets!” Ruth sighed.
“它有那么漂亮的琢面?!濒斀z感嘆道。
James kneeled. “Will you marry me?”
詹姆斯跪下來:“你愿意嫁給我嗎?”
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
fabric | ['fæbrik] |
想一想再看 n. 織物,結構,構造 |
||
charm | [tʃɑ:m] |
想一想再看 n. 魅力,迷人,吸引力,美貌 |
||
eyewitness | ['ai'witnis] |
想一想再看 n. 目擊者,見證人 |
||
extol | [iks'təul] |
想一想再看 vt. 頌楊,稱贊 |
聯想記憶 | |
proposal | [prə'pəuzəl] |
想一想再看 n. 求婚,提議,建議 |
聯想記憶 | |
extinguish | [iks'tiŋgwiʃ] |
想一想再看 v. 熄減,消減,償清 |
聯想記憶 | |
facade | [fə'sɑ:d] |
想一想再看 n. 建筑物的正面,外表(猶指虛偽的) |
聯想記憶 | |
diamond | ['daiəmənd] |
想一想再看 n. 鉆石,像鉆石的物質,菱形,紙牌的方塊,棒球內場 |
||
extort | [iks'tɔ:t] |
想一想再看 vt. 勒索,敲詐,強要 |
聯想記憶 | |
external | [ik'stə:nl] |
想一想再看 adj. 外部的,外面的,外來的,表面的 |