A Strange Piece of Wood
一根奇怪的木頭
It was a warm and dreary afternoon at the beach.
故事發生在海邊一個溫暖但沉悶的下午。
The only exciting occurrence was the unexpected drizzle.
唯一讓人高興的事情就是一場細雨不期而降,
It had drenched my clothes.
它淋濕了我的衣服。
Since we were experiencing a drought on the island, the rain was a welcome relief.
島上正值干旱,所以這場及時雨使旱情得到了緩解。
I had just eaten my lunch.
我剛剛吃過午飯,
I was feeling somewhat drowsy.
感到有點昏昏欲睡。
Suddenly, something in the distance caught my attention.
走到沙灘上,突然,我注意到遠處一個什么東西。
I had spotted a strange piece of driftwood.
我辨認出那是一根奇怪的浮木。
It was drifting in and out of the waves about fifty meters offshore.
它漂浮在離岸邊大約50米的海浪上,時隱時現。
I immediately put on my durable swim fins and dived into the ocean.
我迅速穿上耐用的潛水腳蹼,潛入海中。
Upon reaching it, I noticed something else unusual.
到跟前抓住它時,我注意到它有些異常:
The shape of the wood was dumbbell-like and it had s message written on it.
它的形狀像個啞鈴,上面還寫著留言。
My curiosity caused me to drag it to the shore for further examination.
好奇心促使我把它拖到岸上再進一步查看。
I'm confined in a dungeon, the message said.
留言是這樣寫的:我正被囚禁在地牢里,
I suffer through drudgery every day.
每天我都在服苦役。
I'm forced to pound and shape ductile metals into armor.
他們強迫我把易延展的金屬打至成盔甲。
I cannot speak because I have been dumb since birth.
我不會說話,天生就是啞巴。
My drill is a bit dull, but it can still be used to write messages.
我的鉆頭很鈍,但仍可用來寫留言。
I hope this piece of wood will be dumped into the ocean so that someone will find it.
我真希望這根木頭會被投進大海,這樣就會有人發現它。
If you find it, please help me.
如果你發現了,請你救救我。
I am due to be executed by the end of the year.
我預期在今年年底被處死刑。
I have not been able to duplicate this message, so you are my only hope.
我無法復制留言,所以你是我唯一的希望。
I thought for a moment.
我想了片刻,
This must be a trick.
認為這一定是個騙局。
How can a prisoner have a dual purpose drill in his possession?
一個囚犯如何會有一個有雙重功能的鉆頭呢?
What a strange case of duplicity!
多么力氣的欺詐案呀!