The Life of a Playwright
一個劇作家的生活
“She's such a doting mother,” I thought, looking at the woman and her newborn passing me by in the park.
“她是個很溺愛孩子的母親,”看著她和她剛出生不久的小寶寶從我眼前經過,我這樣想著。
I was feeling a bit doubtful about my ability to write a drama in less than a week.
我置身公園,現在開始懷疑我是否能在一周內寫出一個戲劇來。
I didn't even have a draft.
我到現在甚至連個草稿都沒有。
I was desperate for fresh ideas.
我渴望能撲捉到新的靈感,
That is why I'm sitting here in this downtown park.
所以才會坐在這市區的公園里。
As they often say, “desperate times call for drastic measures.”
就像人們常說的:“危急時刻需要采取斷然措施?!?/div>
I scanned the area around me for ideas.
于是,我掃視周圍,尋找我的靈感。
What about that downcast man on the park bench?
坐在公園長登上的那個一臉沮喪的男人怎么樣?
He looks so downhearted.
他看上去那么無精打采,
Could there be an interesting story behind his sad eyes?
悲傷的眼神后面會有什么動人的故事嗎?
No, I'd better not bother him.
不行,我最好別去煩他,
It looks like he hasn't slept for days.
他看上去已經好幾天沒睡覺了。
Perhaps I can write a story about the life of that draft animal.
也許我可以寫一篇關于耕畜的生活故事。
No, that would be rather dreary.
不,那會很乏味。
All he does is drag things around.
它所做的無非是拖著東西過來過去。
I need a more dramatic subject.
我要找一個更具戲劇性的主題。
Could that dragonfly flying above that drain be the answer to my prayers?
那只在排水溝上空飛著的蜻蜓能作為我祈求的答案嗎?
It is a good thing that this park has excellent drainage.
這個公園的排水系統很好是件好事。
Oh, no, the drain just swallowed him.
哦,不,排水溝剛剛把蜻蜓吞沒了。
“Did he suffer from a dread of drain?” I murmured in disgust.
“他會害怕排水溝吧?”我厭惡地小聲嘟囔著。
“This is a dreadful situation,” I said dramatically.
“情況糟透了?!蔽覒騽“憧鋸埖卣f。
Writing plays for a living was drastically different from writing them in school.
為了謀生寫劇本與上學時寫劇本截然不同。
Maybe I should try drawing pictures for a living?
也許我該嘗試畫畫謀生?
No, I was sure that would not be the situation.
不行,我確信那也解決不了問題,
It probably would have just as many drawbacks.
可能會遇到同樣多的障礙。
So, what I am going to do?
那我該做什么?
I felt dispirited.
我感到灰心喪氣。
Then suddenly, it came to me.
過了一會,忽然,靈感來了。
“I've got it!” I exclaimed.
“我找到了。”我大聲喊起來。
“I just dramatize the life of a playwright!”
“我要把一個劇作家的生活編成劇本?!?