UNIT 5 Culture Shapes Us
第五單元 文化塑造我們
Lesson 39: Memories of Canada
第39課: 回憶加拿大
To:jenny@compmail.caFrom:Li-Ming@net.cn
至:jenny@compmail.ca 來自:Li-Ming@net.cn
Subject: Little North America Date:09/05 6:58 PM
主題: 小北美 日期: 5月9日下午6:58
Dear Jenny,
親愛的珍妮:
I was very interested to read your e-mail about "Little North America."
我對你有關“小北美”的電子郵件很感興趣。
It made me remember my own visit to Canada.
它讓我想起了自己去加拿大的旅行。
You welcomed me into your home,and you were wonderful hosts.
你們歡迎我到你家去,你們真是非常好的主人。
It was very strange,though,being a guest in a different country and a different culture.
但處于不同的國家和不同的文化里,做為客人的感覺仍然很奇怪。
When I had my first breakfast in Canada,I asked your mother if you had any chopsticks!
我在加拿大第一次吃早飯時,我還問你媽媽是否有筷子!
In Canada,I ate so many things that I had never eaten before.
在加拿大,我吃到了許多從未吃過的東西。
But the food wasn't the only thing that was strange.
不過食物并不是唯一令人感到奇怪的東西。
Compared to China,Canada doesn't have many people.
與中國相比,加拿大沒有多少人。
Even in the city,it felt like there was so much space!
即使是在市里,也會感覺到很空曠!
It also seemed strange not to hear my own language.
聽不到自己的語言也很奇怪。
Sometimes it made my head hurt to speak English all day.
有時整天說英語真是讓我頭疼。
I was happy when you offered to take me to Chinatown.
你們帶我去唐人街的時候我真的很高興。
For that whole afternoon,I felt like I was at home.
整個下午,我就感覺像是在家里一樣。
It was so nice when we walked into the grocery store.
我們走進雜貨店時感覺好極了。
It smelled just like a store in my own city!
那里的味道很像我家鄉的小店的味道!
And do you remember the man who served us lunch at the restaurant that day?
你記得那天在飯店招待我們的那個人嗎?
He was from Shijiazhuang,just like me!It was fun.
他來自石家莊,和我一樣!真是有趣。
The Chinese people in Canada are very proud,and they work hard to keep their culture alive.
在加拿大的中國人很驕傲,他們很努力地使自己的文化存活下來。
It must be hard to do that,when Western culture is all around them.
那一定很困難,因為周圍都是西方文化。
It's good that Canadians accept other people.
很慶幸加拿大人能夠接納其他人。
Though I was glad to come home again,I will never forget the welcome I received in Canada.
雖然我很高興又回到家里,但我絕不會忘記我在加拿大受到的禮遇。
Li Ming
李明
Would you like to visit Canada?
你想參觀加拿大嗎?
LET'S DO IT!
做一做!
Write in your diary about a trip you took to a place with a different culture.
把你去一個擁有不同文化的地方旅行的經歷寫進日記。
Talk about why you went there and what made the trip unforgettable or special.
談談你為什么去那里,什么使得這次旅行不同或特別
You can also talk about an imaginary trip.
你也可以談談一次假想的旅行。
adj. 想象的,虛構的