UNIT 5 Culture Shapes Us
第五單元 文化塑造我們
Lesson 37: The Fox and the Stork
第37課:狐貍與白鸛
THINK ABOUT IT!
想一想!
Do you know any stories with animals as characters?
你知道什么動物人物的故事嗎?
What are they?Have you ever been called "rude"?
是什么?你曾被人說“粗魯”嗎?
When and why?What foods do the stork and the fox struggle to eat?
什么時候?為什么? 鸛與狐貍不喜歡吃什么?
At Danny's dinner,Jenny and I didn't like the food.
在丹尼的晚餐上,我和珍尼不喜歡那些食物。
In this story,the food is fine,but something else is wrong.
在這個故事中,食物是好的,但是別的東西出錯了。
This story comes from an ancient Greek story by Aesop.
這個故事來源于古老的希臘故事《伊索寓言》。
Aesop left many stories.
伊索留下了很多故事。
Most of them are about animals,from which you can learn about the society.
大部分故事是關于動物的,從中你可以了解到社會。
One day,a fox met a stork.
一天,一只狐貍遇見了一只白鸛。
The stork was different from the other animals that the fox had met.
白鸛與狐貍所見過的其他動物都不同。
He thought she was wonderful.
他想她真奇妙。
"Would you like to have dinner with me?" the fox asked.
“和我一起吃晚飯好嗎?”狐貍問。
"Yes.It's very kind of you.
“可以。你真好。
When shall I come?" the stork replied.
我應該什么時候來?”白鸛回答道。
"Please come tomorrow night," the fox said.
“請明天晚上來吧。”狐貍說。
The next day,the fox made some delicious soup.
第二天,狐貍做了一些可口的湯。
When the stork arrived,she was very hungry.
白鸛到那時,已經非常餓了。
"Are you ready for dinner?" asked the fox.
“準備好吃晚飯了嗎?”狐貍問。
"Certainly," said the stork,who was doing her best to be polite.
“當然了,”白鸛說,她盡量使自己禮貌些。
The fox brought the soup in large,flat bowls.
狐貍用大平碗端來了湯。
He put the bowls on the table.
他把碗放在桌子上。
The fox ate his soup quickly.
狐貍很快就喝完了湯。
The stork,though,could not eat her soup at all.
而白鸛根本就沒有喝湯。
Her beak was too long for the flat bowl.
對于那個平碗來說她的喙太長了。
"Would you like some more soup?" the fox asked.
“想再來點湯嗎?”狐貍問。
"Thank you.I've had enough," the stork answered,politely but sadly.
“謝謝,我吃飽了。”白鸛既有禮貌又傷心地回答。
"Don't you like soup?" the fox asked,surprised.
“你不喜歡這個湯嗎?”狐貍吃驚地問道。
"Yes,I love soup," said the stork.
“不,我喜歡這個湯,”白鸛說。
"That's strange!You've hardly eaten anything!" said the fox.
“很奇怪!你幾乎什么都沒吃!”狐貍說,
"Well,I'm still hungry."
“嗯,我還是很餓。”
And very rudely,he ate another bowl of soup.
他非常粗魯地又喝了一碗湯。
Finally,the stork said,"Fox,thank you for cooking this delicious meal.
最后,白鸛說:“狐貍,感謝你做了這么美味的一頓飯。
Please come to my home tomorrow,and I will cook a meal for you."
請明天來我家,我也為你做一頓飯。”
"Fine!" said the fox.He felt happy.
“好啊!”狐貍說。他感到很高興。
The next day,the fox went to the stork's house.
第二天,狐貍去了白鸛家。
The stork had made some delicious noodles.
白鸛做了一些好吃的面條。
The fox could smell them as he came into her house.
狐貍在進她家時就聞到了味道。
"Would you like something to drink?" the stork asked the fox.
“想喝點什么嗎?”白鸛問狐貍。
"I have made some nice,hot tea."
“我泡了一些不錯的熱茶。”
The fox,who didn't like tea,said "Just a little,please."
不喜歡茶的狐貍說:“請來一點點。”
He was doing his best to be polite.
他盡力表現得禮貌些。
The stork brought the tea.
白鸛端來了茶。
"The noodles are almost ready," she said.
“面條快好了,”她說,
"I will bring them."
“我會端來的。”
The stork fetched two tall,thin jars.
白鸛端來了兩只高高的細細的壇子。
"There are your noodles," she said.
“這是你的面條,”她說。
The stork stuck her long beak into her jar and ate happily.
白鸛把她的長喙伸進壇中高興地吃起來。
The fox,though,couldn't eat any noodles at all.
而狐貍根本沒有吃面條。
His nose was too short for the jar.
對于那壇子來說他的鼻子太短了。
He could only smell the delicious food,down at the bottom.
他只能聞到壇底美味的食物。
Finally,the stork spoke.
最終,白鸛說話了。
"I know you are hungry,fox.But I am not sorry," she said.
“狐貍,我知道你餓了。但是我并不感到抱歉,”她說。
"When I came to your house last night,you did not make me welcome.
“當我昨晚到你家時,你沒有使我感到受歡迎。
You didn't regard me as a guest.
你沒有把我當作一個客人。
I was polite,but you were not."
我很禮貌,但是你卻沒有。”
"Stork,I am sorry.I didn't realize that my ways were not your ways."
“白鸛,我很抱歉。 我沒有意識到適合我的方式卻不適合你。”
The fox felt bad.
狐貍感覺糟糕極了。
"That's okay," the stork said.
“沒關系,”白鸛說,
"We can still be friends.But from now on,let's help each other."
“我們還是朋友。 但是從現在起,我們要互相幫助。”
"I promise!" said the fox."May I please have a plate now?
“我保證!”狐貍說,“現在我可以用一個盤子嗎?
These noodles smell wonderful."
這些面條聞起來棒極了。”
"Certainly," said the stork.
“當然可以,”白鸛說。
adj. 粗魯的,無禮的
adj. 粗糙