"Listen!" said Holmes sharply. "Look out! It's coming!"
“聽!”福爾摩斯突然尖聲說道。“當心!它來了!”
I heard him make his revolver ready to fire, and I did the same.
我聽到他將左輪手槍做好開火的準備,我也這么做了。
There was a sound of quick, light footsteps from inside the curtain of fog.
從濃霧里傳來了急促而又輕巧的腳步聲。
The thick cloud had crept to within fifty metres of where we were hidden.
那云狀的濃霧已經飄到了距我們藏匿的地方不到50米之處。
We tried to see into it, and wondered what horrible thing would appear. I looked at Holmes.
我們努力向霧里張望著,不知道那里將出現什么可怕的東西。我看了看福爾摩斯。
His eyes were fixed on the place where the path disappeared into the fog. He was pale, but his eyes were bright.
他的雙眼直勾勾地盯著這條小路被大霧遮沒之處。他面色蒼白,可是雙眼閃閃發光。
He looked like a man who was going to win the most important game of his life.
他看上去像一位即將贏得一生中最重要的比賽的人。
Then suddenly his eyes nearly jumped out of his head, and his mouth opened in frightened surprise.
接著,他的雙眼突然之間幾乎要從眼眶里迸出來了,嘴巴因驚嚇而大張著。
I looked away from him to see what his eyes werefixed on.
我從他的身上移開視線去看他注視的地方。
When I saw the awful shape that was coming towards us out of the fog, my blood turned cold.
當我看到從霧中竄出、向我們直面撲來的那個形狀可怕的怪物時,我便嚇得魂飛魄散了。
The revolver nearly fell from my hands, and my whole body froze with fear.
左輪手槍幾乎要從手中跌落了,而我的整個身體也因害怕而發僵了。
I saw a hound, an enormous black hound. It was bigger than any dog I had ever seen.
我看到了一只獵犬,一只大的、黑色的獵犬。它比我所見過的任何狗都要大。
But it was something else that filled us with terror. No human eye had ever seen a hound like this one.
可是,是別的原因才使我們充滿恐懼之情的。任何人都未見過與此類似的獵犬。
Fire came from its open mouth. Its eyes were burning. Flames covered its head and body.
火從它那張著的嘴巴里噴了出來。它的眼睛亮得像冒火一樣。頭和軀體都由火焰籠罩著。
It was a more horrible sight than anyone could imagine—a hell-hound sent by the devil. It was not a creature of the natural world.
這是一幅比任何人的想像所及還要恐怖的景象——一只由從惡魔派來的地獄看門犬。它不是自然界的一個生靈。
The huge, black, burning hound ran quickly and silently after Sir Henry.
那只發光的大黑獵犬快速地、悄無聲息地在亨利爵士后面跑著。
Far away along the path we saw him turn and look back at the hound.
我們從這條小路的遠處看到,亨利爵士轉身向后看到了那只獵犬。
His face was white in the moonlight and his hands were lifted in horror.
他的臉色在月光下慘白,雙手恐懼地舉了起來。
He watched helplessly as the terrible creature got closer to him.
那個可怕的家伙逼近他時他絕望地瞪著眼睛。
We were so frozen by the ghostly and unnatural sight that we let the hound go past us, and we could not move.
我們被這個幽靈鬼怪似的景象驚得竟發呆到了那種程度,以至于聽任它從我們身旁跑過,我們自己還絲毫動彈不得。
Our friend was near to death, and we were helpless with fear.
我們的朋友正瀕于死亡的邊緣,而我們則因恐怖而無能為力。