43 Shopping for a Career
購物當職業
“I think I want to study chemistry,” John said to Mary.
“我想我要學化學,”約翰對瑪麗說,
“It's a complicated subject but I want to learn how to compose new compounds out of chemical components.
“這是一門復雜的學科,但我想學會用各種化學成分配制新化合物的方法。
I've read that scientists are now using air pressure to compress and create Mary, what about you?
我讀過有關科學家使用氣壓濃縮的方法從而獲得特殊的化合物的文章。未來的藥物將由這些特殊化合物構成。瑪麗,你呢?
An intelligent girl like you would make a good chemist.”
像你這么聰明的女孩能做個優秀的化學家。”
“Thanks for the compliment but chemistry is not a comprehensible subject for me” Mary replied.
“多謝夸獎,化學對我來說可不好懂。”瑪麗回答道,
“Dealing with dangerous chemicals is a further complication.
“折騰那些危險的化學物質更是復雜。
Musical compositions is what I want to study.
我想學音樂創作。
I'm fascinated by the fact that most compositions are comprised of over a dozen different musical pieces.
大多音樂作品常常是由幾十個不同的樂曲組成,這一點讓我著迷。
Also, I find that musical arrangements are easy for me to comprehend.
而且,我發現我能很快理解音樂編排的來龍去脈。”
“Won't you have difficulty earning a good salary?” asked John.
“那你要掙到高薪不是很難嗎?”約翰問道,
“A compulsive shopper like you, Mary, will need a lot of money.”
“像你這樣購物成癖的人,瑪麗,你將需要很多錢。”
“That's not a complimentary statement, John!” Mary shouted, trying to regain her composure.
“這可不是什么恭維的話,約翰!”瑪麗叫道,一面努力鎮靜下來。
“And Jane, you are guilty of complicity!” Mary tearfully added.
“而且,簡,你是同謀!”瑪麗眼淚汪汪地說道。
“However, you're both right. I've had the hardest time trying to reach a compromise with my parents over this issue.
“不過,你們都說對了。在這一問題上我已是盡力艱辛,竭盡全力與父母達成妥協。
They've done a comprehensive review of my spending habits.
他們全面審查了我的花錢習慣。
They won't give me any more money unless I comply with their request to study a more practical subject, like finance.”
除非我順從他們學一門更實用的學科,比如金融,他們就不會再給我一分錢。”
John smiled back at Mary. “I guess a compulsive shopped needs a compulsory education!”
約翰沖瑪麗笑了笑,“我猜一個購物癖者需要接受點強制性教育。”