44 Geometry Class
幾何課
“You have to conceal your boredom,” John whispered to me, waking me from my nap.
“你得掩飾一下你的厭倦情緒,”約翰低聲對我說道,一面把我從瞌睡中喚醒。
“I can't conceive of a way to hide it,” I replied with a yawn.
“我想不出掩飾的法子,”我打著哈欠回答道。
I had been sitting in geometry class for two hours, waiting for the professor to conclude his lecture about concentric circles and concaved figures.
我已經上了兩個小時的幾何課,一直等著教授結束這個關于同心圓和凹面圖的講座。
I understand the concept of geometry but how often am I really going to use it in everyday life?
我理解幾何的概念,但日常生活中我哪里用的著那玩意?
When would I ever need to compute the circumference of a circle?
我幾時曾需要計算圓周長了?
I'm not very interested in conceptual thinking.
我對概念思考不甚感興趣。
I'm more interested in studying about how to maintain concord between neighboring third-world countries.
我更有興趣了解相鄰的第三世界國家間是如何維持和睦關系的。
“Are you going to the concert tonight?” John whispered again.
“你晚上去聽音樂會嗎?”約翰又低聲說道,
“They're playing a wonderful new concerto.
“今晚會演奏一出新的協奏曲,特棒。
You make a conciliatory gesture towards Jane by inviting her to come with you.”
你可以邀請簡跟你一塊來,就算是和解的表示。”
“Sorry John, I have basketball practice,” I replied.
“對不起,約翰,我得練籃球,”我回答道,
“My foolish conceit and male pride won't allow me to contact Jane.
“我愚蠢的自負和男人的驕傲不允許我跟簡聯系,
She slapped my face last time.
要知道她上次打了我一計耳光。
That's a pretty conclusive statement, wouldn't you agree?
那算是一切結束的表示吧,你覺得呢?
Anyway, I'm not ready for a relationship and all the concomitant pain that comes with it.”
不管怎樣,我不準備戀愛了,也受不了一切隨之而來的痛苦。”
“Your conception of a relationship is a bit warped.” John whispered back.
“你對戀愛的認識有點偏激。”約翰低聲回答道,
“All that's required is a concerted effort between two people.
“只要兩個人共同努力就行了。
Perhaps you should be more concise when you talk to Jane about your feelings.”
也許你跟簡傾訴感情時應該更簡明扼要些。”
“Enough! I concede!” I replied with a grin.
“夠了!我讓步!我笑著回答,
“I'll invite your sister to the concert.
“我將邀請你妹妹去聽音樂會。
But I'm going to need your help to concoct a story that will help me save face!”
但你得幫我編造個故事,好給我留點臉面!”