41 Decision
決定
“What's the commotion?” I asked.
“亂哄哄的吵什么呀?”我問道。
In the commodity business, it's commonplace for people to be shouting and running around.
在商品買賣這一行,人們喊叫著跑來跑去是很平常的事。
But this was different.
但今天不一樣。
“Is there some kind of incredible Christmas sale?” I muttered to myself.
“是不是又有什么讓人傻眼的圣誕節特大甩賣呀?”我嘟囔著。
Personally, I'm not fond of the way merchants commercialize every holiday. It gets worse every year.
就我而言,我很討厭每次過節時商人們搞的這些商業化的炒作,這些玩藝兒一年不如一年。
Suddenly, my sectary blasted through my office door.
突然,我得秘書咣的一聲撞進辦公室。
“The President called. He wants to commission you to advise the committee on farm commerce.
“總統打過來電話,他想委任您作農業貿易委員會的顧問。
He says that the local commissioner recommended you for the job because you're the most committed commercial lawyer in the farming community.
他說當地專員推薦您擔任這一職務,因為您是農業社區中最忠誠的商業律師。
What shall I tell him?
我應該怎樣答復總統?
The commonsense answer would be yes, wouldn't it?”
按常識來講,應該回答Yes,對吧?”
I took three deep breaths.
我做了第三次深呼吸。
Of course the answer should be yes.
回答當然應該是Yes。
Who wouldn't want a job with a food salary and commodious living quarters?
誰會不要一個薪水高、住房寬敞的工作呢?
I could give up being a commuter and trade in my compact car.
我可以不用再做個上下班做公車的乘客,也可以把我的小型汽車折價換新車。
No more using communal toilets.
不用再去公共廁所。
I suppose my status would never leave me short of female companions.
我想憑我的地位身邊的女性伴侶應該不會少。
On the other hand, advising the committee is a twenty-four-hour-a-day commitment.
再者,給委員會做顧問可是一天24小時的義務。
When would I find time for my hobbies?
我什么時候會有時間搞我的業余愛好呢?
I don't think my dog will like it if I turn our daily one-hour walk into a five-minute compaction.
我想我的狗會很不高興,它每天1小時的散步被我壓縮成5分鐘的溜達了。
Then again, he's only a dog.
可他不過是條狗嘛。
It's not like I'm committing a crime.
我又不是在犯罪。
In fact, with the extra money I earn, I can hire someone to walk him for two hours every day.
實際上,等我掙了更多的錢,就能雇人每天陪他走上兩個小時了。
Smiling, I looked up at my secretary.
我微笑著抬起頭對秘書說:
“Suzette, call the President and tell him I'm in my way.”
“蘇澤特,給總統打電話,告訴他我已經能動身了。”