Lesson 19 Facing Your Fear
直面你的恐懼
I'm averse to flying.
我很反感坐飛機,
It's not that I don't have a backbone.
倒不是因為我沒骨氣。
In fact, I am otherwise very brave.
事實上,除了坐飛機外,我相當勇敢。
I wear a police badge everyday and I arrest dangerous criminals.
每天我都戴著警徽,逮捕兇險的罪犯。
My aversion to aviation dates back to when I was a child.
我對飛行的反感還要從我小時候說起。
When I was years old, my baby-sitter took me on a short flight to visit my mom.
8歲時,我的臨時保姆帶我坐短途飛機去看媽媽,
We flew in a small plane.
我們搭的是一架小飛機。
The weather conditions were very bad that day.
那天天氣相當糟糕。
Halfway to our destination, we hit a terrible storm.
才飛了一半的路程,我們就撞上了暴風雨,
The aviator lost control of the plane.
結果飛機完全不停飛行員使喚。
The powerful wind made the plane to several barrel rolls.
強勁的風力弄得飛機翻了好幾個橫滾,
It was like me were in a ball that was spinning on an axis.
簡直就像個繞軸心旋轉的球。
After a few seconds, the avaitor regained control and averted a disaster.
幾秒鐘后,飛行員重新控制住飛機,方才避免了異常災難。
I avowed never to fly in a small plane again.
我發誓再也不坐飛機了。
That story should serve as a dufficient backdrop for my fear of flying.
這個故事足以作為我懼怕坐飛機的背景。
However, I'm an avid fisherman.
然而,我卻非常熱衷于釣魚。
In fact, fishing is my avocation.
事實上,釣魚是我的一大嗜好。
To me, there's nothing like putting bait on you hook and casting it in a peaceful stream.
對我來說,給魚勾上餌然后將魚鉤投進寧靜的小溪是再美不過的事了:
No phones to ring, no supervisors to badger you.
沒有電話在叮鈴作響,沒有主管來煩你。
I'm still a bachelor, so I have plenty of time for fishing.
我有是個單身漢,因此有充足的時間來釣魚。
The problem is that now, the best fishing spots are accessible only by small planes.
現在,問題在于最好的釣魚地點都只有乘坐小飛機才能到達。
Thus, I find myself looking rather awkward today as I stumble and stagger towards the small plane that awaits me.
于是乎,我跌跌撞撞地走向正在等我的小飛機,一面覺得自己今天尤為笨拙。
Why am I flying when I know how dangerous it is?
我干嗎明知有危險,還要照飛不誤呢?
Is this fishing spot really so great?
這個釣魚的地方真的很棒嗎?
My awareness of the danger is suppressed only by my thoughts of fabulous fishing.
唯有想想釣魚的美好才能讓我忘卻危險的意識。
But I can hardly keep my balance as I struggle forward with my baggage.
但在拉著行李往前趕時,我幾乎無法保持平衡。
Just like any other fear, you have to face it one step at a time.
對付任何恐懼感,你必須一步一個腳印地直面應對,不可回避。