“— and as you see, certain of these poisons might make it appear —”
“—你知道,這上面的有些毒藥可以讓它看上去——”
“I understand, sir, of course,” said Mr. Borgin. “Let me see . . .”
“我明白,先生,這是當然的。”博金先生說,“讓我看看……”
“Can I have that?” interrupted Draco, pointing at the withered hand on its cushion.
“能把那個給我看看嗎?”德拉科指著墊子上那只枯萎的人手問道。
“Ah,the Hand of Glory!” said Mr. Borgin,abandoningMr. Malfoy’s list and scurrying over to Draco.
“啊,光榮之手!”博金先生叫道,丟下馬爾福先生的單子,奔到德拉科面前。
“Insert a candle and it gives light only to the holder!
“插上一支蠟燭,只有拿著它的人才能看見亮光!
Best friend of thieves and plunderers!
這是小偷和強盜最好的朋友!
Your son has fine taste, sir.”
您的兒子很有眼力,先生。”
“I hope my son will amount to more than a thief or a plunderer, Borgin,” said Mr. Malfoy coldly,
“我希望我的兒子比小偷和強盜有出息一點兒,博金。”馬爾福先生冷冷地說。
and Mr. Borgin said quickly, “No offense, sir,no offensemeant —”
博金先生馬上說:“對不起,先生,我沒有那個意思——”
“Though if his grades don’t pick up,” said Mr. Malfoy, more coldly still, “that may indeed be all he is fit for —”
“不過要是他的成績沒有起色,”馬爾福先生語氣更冷地說,“他也許只能干那些勾當。”
“It’s not my fault,” retorted Draco.
“這不是我的錯,”德拉科頂嘴說,
“The teachers all have favorites, that Hermione Granger—”
“老師們都很偏心,那個赫敏?格蘭杰—”
“I would have thought you’d be ashamed that a girl of no wizard family beat you in every exam,” snapped Mr.Malfoy.
“一個非巫師家庭出身的女孩子回回考試都比你強,我還以為你會感到羞恥呢。”馬爾福先生怒氣沖沖地說。
“Ha!” said Harry under his breath, pleased to see Draco looking both abashed and angry.
“哈哈!”看到德拉科又羞又惱的樣子,哈利差點笑出聲來。
“It’s the same all over,” said Mr. Borgin, in his oily voice.
“到處都是這樣,”博金先生用他那油滑的腔調說,
“Wizardblood is counting for less everywhere—”
“巫師血統越來越不值錢了。”
“Not with me,” said Mr. Malfoy, his long nostrils flaring.
“我不這樣認為。”馬爾福先生說,他的長鼻孔扇動著,噴著粗氣。
“No, sir, nor with me, sir,” said Mr. Borgin, with a deep bow.
“我也不,先生。”博金先生深鞠一躬說。
“In that case, perhaps we can return to my list,” said Mr. Malfoy shortly.
“那么,也許我們可以接著看我的單子了吧。”馬爾福先生不耐煩地說道,
“I am in something of a hurry, Borgin, I have important business elsewhere today —”
“我時間不多,博金,今天我還有重要的事情要辦。”