Lesson 8 He had to work two Jobs.
他對必須做兩份工作
That smells good. I hope so.How are you?
真香. 希望如此.你好嗎?
I'm fine.I rehearsed today.
我很好.我今天排練了.
How was the rehearsal?
排練得怎么樣?
I had to work very hard.
我必須得非常努力地工作.
Dinner should be ready in a few minutes.
晚飯一會兒就好.
I have to make special dinners for your father now. He's on a diet.
我現在得為你爸爸準備專門的飯菜,他正在節食.
Oh,I have to give him his medicine.
噢,我得給他吃藥了.
You look tired.What did you do today?
你看起來很累,今天做什么了?
I had to do a lot of errands.
我干了許多跑腿兒的事兒.
First I had to go to the grocery store and buy things for dinner.
先是去儀器雜貨店買了些東西用來做晚飯,
Then I had to buy some medicine for your father.
然后給你你買了點藥,
Then I had to return some books to the library.
然后去圖書館還書.
What a busy day!...
這一天可真忙!..
Can I go see Dad now? Sure. He's awake.
我現在能看看爸爸嗎? 當然.他醒著呢.
Is the nurse with him?
護士和他在一起嗎?
No.I sent her home an hour ago.
不,我一小時前讓她回家了.
Can I come in? Come in,Jeff.
我能進來嗎? 進來,杰夫.
What's that?
那是什么?
These are old pictures and scrapbooks.I was thinking about the Bennett family.
這是一些舊照片與剪貼簿. 我正在回憶班納特家族呢.
Ah,the old Bennetts.
啊,是班納特家族的老輩人呀.
They were a tough bunch..
他們是意志堅強的人...
Look,here's my great-great-grandfather Patrick.
看,這是我祖父的祖父,帕特里克.
Didn't he have to leave Ireland when he was only sixteen?
他在十六歲時就不得不離開愛爾蘭,是嗎?
Yes,he had to leave the country quickly.
是的,他必須盡快離開愛爾蘭.
I never knew why.
我從不知道為什么.
He never saw his mother and father again.
他再也沒有見過他的爸爸和媽媽.
You said he had to work very hard.
你曾說過他不得不非常努力地工作.
Right.He built bridges and worked on the old steamships.
是的.他修過橋,也在老式蒸汽船上工作過.
He was a real character. Who's that?
他真了不起. 那是誰?
That's Sarah Bennett,my great-grandmother.
莎拉.班納特,我的曾祖母.
What did she do?
她是做什么的?
She came to this country,and she started a laundry business from nothing.
她來到這個國家,白手起家,辦起洗衣店.
She had five children.
她有5個孩子.
Didn't her brother move west?
她的兄弟沒去西部嗎?
Yes.He owned his own ranch.
去了.他擁有自己的農場.
Did she have to fight outlaws?
他得與不法分子斗爭嗎?
Yes,he did.He had to defend the land.
是的.他必須保護他的土地.
That's Grandpa A1.
那是阿爾祖父.
Right.What a man he was!
是的.他真是個男子漢!
He had to support you and Grandma through the Depression.
在經濟大蕭條時期他得養活你們和祖母.
He had to work two jobs.
他得同時做兩份工作.
He put three children through school.
他供三個孩子念完了書.
You had to work too.
你也得工作.
You had to work during the day and go to school at night.
白天工作,晚上還得上課.
These Bennetts were tougher than I am.
班納特家族的這些人都比我堅強.
I didn't have to leave the country or fight outlaws.
我不必離開自己的國家,也不必與不法分子斗爭.
I didn't have to start a business. I didn't have to work two jobs.
我不用自己做生意,我不用做兩份工作,
I didn't even have to work weekends.
我甚至不用周末工作.
No.You didn't have to do any of those things.
不,你不必做那些事.
But you're doing what you want to do.
但是你做著你想做的,
And you do it well..I think the other Bennetts would admire you.
而且做得不錯...我想班納特家其他人也會稱贊你的.
This doesn't sound like you,Dad.
爸爸,這話不像是你說的
I have more time to think these days,Jeff...I'm proud of you.
這陣子我有更多的時間想些事情,杰夫,我為你自豪.
What's that?
那是什么?
I brought you something,I hid it here last night.
我給你帶來的一樣東西.我昨晚藏在這兒了.
What is it? A present.
什么東西? 一件禮物.
You didn't have to get me a present.
你不用送我禮物.
I didn't have to,but I wanted to.
我不必送,但我想送,
But you have to promise me something before you open it.
但在你打開它之前得答應我一件事.
What? You have to wait until I talk to the doctor before you use this. OK.
什么? 你得等我與醫生談過之后才能用這個. 好的.
And you have to promise me something else. What?
你還得答應我另一件事. 什么?
You have to promise me that we can go out to the golf course together.
你得答應我,我們可以一起去高爾夫球場.
It's a deal.
這事兒就這么定了.
Now can I open my present? What is it? A baseball bat?
現在我能打開我的禮物了嗎?是什么? 一根棒球棒?
This is the end of Lesson 8
第八課已經結束。