SECRETARY
招聘秘書啟事
for the summer months
蘇格蘭一私人小島上
on a small private island in Scotland.
夏季招聘秘書一名。
Live with the family in a big house.
可與本家共享寬裕住所。
interseting work and good pay
若人選合適,
for the right person.
工作有趣,薪金豐厚。
Phone Greta Poss.Telephone number 071…
有意者請與格里塔·羅斯聯系。電話:071……
‘Well, that sounds interesting,'said my mother.‘I'd like to work as a secretary on an island in Scotland.It's a beautiful country, Carol, and you can go to a college there in the autumn.’
“嗯,聽起來挺有意思的。”我媽媽說,“我愿意在蘇格蘭的一個島上干秘書工作。它是個很美麗的地方,卡羅爾,而且你秋季可以在那兒上大學。”
‘And it's a place to live for the summer,’I said.‘Hotels are expensive.’
“夏季也可以在那兒過。”我說,“飯店很費錢。”
My mother telephoned Greta Ross.
我媽媽打電話給格里塔·羅斯。
Come and see me tomorrow, Greta Ross told her.‘Come to Savoy Hotel at eleven o'clock.’
“明天來見我吧。”格里塔·羅斯告訴她,“11點請到薩沃伊飯店來。”
I went to Savoy Hotel with my mother.It was big and ex pensive,bigger than our hotel,and in the centre of London.
我和媽媽一起去了薩沃伊飯店。這個飯店既大又貴,比我們住的飯店大,并位于倫敦的中心地帶。
‘Mum needs this job,I thought.‘And a private island in Scotland is a nice place to live.Perhaps I can forget what's happened if I go there.’
“媽媽需要這個工作。”我想,“蘇格蘭的一座私人島嶼還是個生活的好地方。我如果去那兒,也許就可以把過去發生的事情忘掉。”
‘Room twenty-two,'said the woman at the hotel desk.‘Go on up. Mrs Ross will see you now.’
“22號房間。”飯店服務臺的女士說,“上樓去吧。羅斯夫人現在就可以接見您。”
Greta Ross was waiting for us.She was about thirty years old and very beautiful.She wore an expensive red dress and her hair was very long and dark.
格里塔·羅斯正等著我們。她大約三十歲,很漂亮。她穿著一件很貴的紅色連衣裙,頭發很長很黑。
‘This is my daughter,Carol,'said my mother.
“這是我女兒卡羅爾,”我媽媽說。
‘Hallo, Carol,'said Greta Ross.
“你好,卡羅爾。”格里塔·羅斯說。
‘Hallo,’I said.
“您好,”我說。
‘Carol is eighteen years old,'said my mother.‘Can she come with me,if I get the job? Perhaps she can help in the house or in the garden.She likes gardening.She's studying farming at college.’
“卡羅爾18歲了。”我媽媽說,“如果我能得到這份工作,她可以跟著我嗎?也許她能幫助做些家務活或干些園子里的活。她喜歡園藝。她正在大學學農業。”
‘Perhaps, said Greta Ross.‘There's a small farm on the island.’
“也許行吧。”格里塔·羅斯說,“島上有個小農場。”
‘I'd like to work on the farm,’I said.
“我喜歡在農場里干活,”我說。
Greta Ross looked at my mother.‘How long did you live in Hong Kong,Mrs Sanders?’
格里塔·羅斯看了看我母親。“你們在香港住了多久,桑德斯夫人?”
‘Seven years,’answered my mother.‘My husband died in a plane crash last year,so we've come back to live in England.’
“七年。”我媽媽說,“我丈夫去年因飛機失事去世了,所以我們回英格蘭住來了。”
‘Where did you live before Hong Kong?’
“住在香港之前你們呆在哪兒?”
‘We lived in India for three years.’
“我們在印度住了三年。”
Then Greta Ross took my mother into a room and asked her more questions.I waited outside.
然后格里塔·羅斯帶我媽媽進了一個房間,問了她更多的問題。我在外邊等著。
‘Greta Ross is nice,’I thought.‘I hope my mother gets the job.’
“格里塔·羅斯挺好的。”我想,“我希望媽媽能得到這份工作。”
Soon after,the door opened and my mother came out.She was smiling.
過了不一會兒門開了,我媽媽出來了。她微笑著。
Greta Ross said,‘Please wait here for a minute,Mrs Sanders.I want to make a phone call.'she went back into the room,and closed the door.
格里塔·羅斯說:“請在這兒等一會兒,桑德斯夫人。我想去打個電話。”她返回房間,并關上了門。
I was sitting on a chair near the door,and I could just hear Greta Ross's voice speaking on the phone.
我坐在門旁的一把椅子上,正好能聽到格里塔·羅斯打電話的聲音。
‘I think I've found someone,'she was saying.‘She has a daughter,but the girl can work in the garden or on the farm… Don't worry,they've been away from England for ten years… It'll be all right,I tell you… Don't worry.’
“我想我已經找到了一個人。”她正在說,“她有個女兒,但這個女孩可以在園子或在農場干些活兒……別擔心,她們離開英格蘭已有10年了……不會出事的,我告訴你……別擔心。”
After a few minutes, Greta Ross put down the phone and came ont of the room.
過了一會兒,格里塔·羅斯掛上了電話并從屋里出來了。
‘You've got the job,'she told my mother.
“你得到了這份工作,”她告訴我媽媽說。
My mother was pleased.‘Thank you,'she replied.
我媽媽很高興。“謝謝您,”她說。
I was pleased,too, but now I was worried about that phone call.I didn't understand it.
我也很高興,可現在我對那個電話感到憂慮不安。我不明白它的意思。