2.實用對話
Making a Comparison比較
Jim: Can I ask you a question?
吉姆:我能問你個問題嗎?
Lily: Sure, go ahead.
莉莉:當然,你問吧。
Jim: Do you think rich people are much happier?
吉姻!你覺得富人會更快樂嗎?
Lily: I doubt it. I don't think happiness and wealth are really related. I think if you don't have money you'd be unhappy.
but having money doesn't mean you'd be happy.
莉莉:我拿不準。我覺得幸福和財富不是絕對相關的,你沒有錢可能會不快樂,可是有了錢也不一定就意味著真正的快樂。
Jim: What do you mean?
吉姆:這是什么意思啊?
Lily: Well, when you're rich, you can buy whatever you want. But it is difficult to trust other people; they might just want
your money. So it might be hard to make real friends. I imagine it is kind of lonely.
莉莉:嗯,當你富有的時候,你可以想買什么就買什么。,但是你卻不能輕易相信別人了,他們想要的也許只是你的錢。這樣的話,就很難交到真正的朋友。我猜想內心肯定是孤獨的。
Jim: So you are saying that rich people are unhappy?
吉姆:那么你的意思是說富人不快樂嗎?
Lily: Not exactly. Compare the rich with the poor, and you will see completely. The rich are not just happy because they
have money. Poor people, on the other hand,are unhappy because they have to worry all the time about money for food and their
apartment. They might have a few more friends but with no money they have a hard life.
莉莉:也不完全是。拿窮人和富人作對比,你就完全明白了。富人并不是因為有錢才快樂。另一方面,窮人也不快樂,他們不得不為吃的和住的費用而發愁。他們也許會比富人多幾個朋友,但是沒有錢,生活仍然很艱辛。
Jim: I got it. Money and happiness aren't really related.
吉姆:我明白了。金錢和幸福的確不是絕對相關的。