Helen: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, I'm Helen. With me today is quite a frustrated-looking Neil. Neil, what are you doing to that mobile phone?
海倫:大家好,歡迎來到BBC英語教學頻道的我們說的英語節目,我是海倫。今天我們請到了尼爾,他看上去非常生氣。尼爾,你拿著手機做什么呢?
Neil: Argh, I can't get it to make a phone call. It does everything else: it takes photos, it connects to the internet, it even irons my shirts but it won't make a call!
尼爾:哎喲,我不能打電話。這部手機其它的功能都有:可以拍照,可以上網,甚至可以熨襯衫,可它就是不能打電話!
Helen: Your mobile phone irons your shirts?
海倫:你的手機可以燙襯衫?
Neil: No, not really, but honestly it does everything apart from the one thing I want it to do–make a phone call. It's a joke!
尼爾:不,實際上不是,說實話,它什么功能都有,除了我希望它有的功能——打電話。真是荒唐!
Helen: A joke? But you're not laughing. It can't be a very funny joke.
海倫:玩笑?可是你并沒有笑啊。那并不是個有趣的玩笑。
Neil: Well if you say something is a joke in English it can also mean that it's not very good or not worthy of respect.
尼爾:嗯,英語中如果你說某件事很荒唐,可以是指那并不是很好,或者是不值得重視的事情。
Helen: Yes, 'joke' has a second meaning.
海倫:對,joke這個詞還有其它意思。
Example:
例子:
The investigation into police corruption was a complete joke. Everyone knows the officers were taking money but they were let off.
對有關警察腐敗問題的調查簡直荒唐可笑。所有人都知道警察收受賄賂了,可是他們卻被放走了。
The weather forecast was a total joke. It said it would be warm and sunny but it's freezing and raining.
天氣預報真是可笑。天氣預報說今天會是溫暖的明天,可是其實卻是個寒冷的雨天。
Helen: As you heard there in the example, the person described an investigation into police corruption as a joke. This doesn't mean it was funny. It means it wasn't serious. Also the weather forecast was so bad it was described as a joke.
海倫:就像你在例子中聽到的,人們形容對警察腐敗問題的調查荒唐可笑。這并不是說那很有趣。而是說那并不嚴謹。同樣天氣預報也很糟糕,所以也可以形容為可笑。
Neil: Notice that you can add words before 'joke' to make the meaning even stronger. It's a complete joke.
尼爾:我們注意到你可以在可笑前加形容詞使意思更加強烈。這非常荒唐。
Helen: A complete joke.
海倫:非?;奶?。
Neil: It's a total joke.
尼爾:可笑透了。
Helen: A total joke.
海倫:可笑透了。
Neil: It's an absolute joke.
尼爾:絕對是荒唐的事情。
Helen: Anyway Neil, why don't you just read the instructions for your new mobile phone? Then you'll probably be able to work out how to make a call.
海倫:不管怎樣,尼爾,你為什么不看看新手機的說明書呢?然后你可能就知道怎么打電話了。
Neil: I looked at the instructions but they're an absolute joke.
尼爾:我看過說明書了,可是那簡直荒唐透頂。
Helen: Oh really?
海倫:哦,真的嗎?
Neil: Well for a start they are in about 17 languages apart from English.
尼爾:首先,說明書上有17種語言,但就是沒有英語。
Helen: What a joke!
海倫:真是可笑!
Neil: Yeah I know.
尼爾:對,我知道。
Helen: Well we've heard lots of jokes in today's programme but there hasn't been much laughing.
海倫:今天我們在節目中聽了很多可笑的事,不過其實并不是很有趣。
Neil: Argh, what a useless piece of …
尼爾:哎喲,真是一個沒用的……
Helen: Let's hope Neil finally works out how to use his phone.
海倫:我們希望尼爾最后能弄明白如何使用他的手機。
Neil: Argh, this is beyond a joke, it really is…
尼爾:哎喲,這真是讓人無法接受,它真的是……
Helen: Join us again for The English We Speak.
海倫:歡迎大家收看下期我們說的英語節目。
Neil: Argh, mobiles…
尼爾:哎喲,手機……