重點講解:
1. second-hand
二手的;用過的;舊的;
eg. Buying a second-hand car can be a risky business.
買二手車可能有風險 。
eg. I got this book by chance at a second - hand bookshop.
我趕巧在一家舊書店里買到這本書 。
2. be quids in
手頭余下很多錢;賺了更多的錢;
eg. Still, we were quids in, we didn't care!
不過我們還有不少錢,才不在乎呢!
eg. Having sold the film and TV rights to his new best seller he's absolutely quids in.
他售出了最新暢銷小說的電影和電視版權,現在就等坐收厚利了 。
3. clean up
清理,清除(污染物);把……弄干凈;
eg. You should always clean up the room.
你應該經常清理房間 。
eg. Let me clean up the broken glass before someone walks on it.
我來把碎玻璃掃掉,以免有人踩到 。
4. out of pocket
缺錢;賠錢;
eg. ey were well out of pocket — they had spent far more in Hollywood than he had earned.
他們非常缺錢——他們在好萊塢的花費已經遠遠超出了他的收入 。
eg. Statements with errors could still be going out, but customers who notify us will not be left out of pocket.
存在錯誤的結算單仍有可能發送出去,但告知我們的客戶將不會遭受損失 。
5. cheer up
(使)高興起來;(使)振作起來;
eg. I wrote that song just to cheer myself up.
我寫那首歌是給我自己打氣的 。
eg. Cheer up, better times may be ahead.
打起精神來,好日子也許還在后頭呢 。