William: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English from www.bbcukchina.com. I'm William. 大家好,這里是來自bbcukchina網地道美語節目。我是威廉。
Feifei: I'm Feifei. 我是菲菲。
William: Feifei...? 菲菲……?
Feifei: What? 怎么了?
William: Don't you want to say hello to our listeners? 你難道不應該跟聽眾朋友們問聲好嗎?
Feifei: Hello. 大家好。
William: What's the matter? 發生什么事了?
Feifei: 我很生氣,因為我的朋友 Kate 實在是太不夠意思了。我每6個月才見她一次,可以她每次來的時候都不提前打招呼,總是搞突襲。昨天晚上她沒提前通知我,突然來我家,雖然沒準備,但是見老朋友總是件高興事兒。
William: Hmmm, that sounds nice. Go on. 嗯,聽起來不錯,繼續說。
Feifei: 老朋友來我家,我趕緊拿出一瓶好酒來招待。可是誰都沒想到,她就是來借我的電子字典。我給她字典之后她就走了。連那杯酒都沒喝完!
William: Oh dear! She doesn't sound like a very good friend. 哦,天??!聽起來她不是很友好么。
Feifei: She's always scrounging stuff off me. I lent her my radio last year and I've still not had it back. 她總是喜歡騙走我的東西。她去年從我這兒借走收音機到現在還沒有還給我。
William: Well, look on the bright side Feifei. You've just used a word that we can look at in our programme today. To scrounge. 嗯,菲菲要往好的方面看。你剛才用到了今天我們要說到的單詞。
Feifei: To scrounge. 這是一個貶義詞,意思就是騙取某物。
William: Listen to this example of one way to use the verb to scrounge. 聽下面用scrounge這個動詞造句的例子。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woman: Hi, Denise... could you do me a favour? 你好,丹尼斯……能幫我一個忙嗎?
Woman 2: Yeah, what can I do for you? 是的,需要我為你做些什么?
Woman: Can I possibly scrounge 10p off you? 能給我10便士嗎?
Woman 2: Yes, of course! Here you are. 是的,當然!給你。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: 上面對話中的女士用 scrounge 來形容自己向朋友索要10便士的行為。Can I possibly scrounge 10p off you?
William: Yes, that's how we use that word; to scrounge something off someone. And you can see that even though this word scrounge is quite negative, we can use it to describe our own actions in a humorous way. Feifei, can I scrounge a pen off you? 是的,這就是如何使用這個短語。你可以看出,盡管這個詞是貶義的,我們可以詼諧地用這個詞來描述自己。能把這支筆給我了嗎?
Feifei: No you can't! I'm sick of people scrounging stuff off me. William 我們能不能把 scrounge 當名詞來用呢?
William: Almost. If you want to describe someone who scrounges a lot, like your friend Kate, Feifei, we can call them a scrounger. 大多數情況下可以。如果你想描述一個愛騙取別人東西的人,比如你的朋友凱特。菲菲,我們可以稱找個人是個騙子。
Feifei: A scrounger 就是一個總是騙取他人之物的人。不過這個詞非常的貶義,所以在使用的時候要注意。
William: Scrounger. It's a word that you sometimes read in newspapers to describe people who don't work but live off the state.
Feifei: 是的,英國的小報經常會稱一些自己不工作,只靠政府的救濟金來生活的人scroungers, 因為 they are scrounging off the state.
William: There's also a phrase linked to the verb to scrounge. And I think that this phrase is not so serious, it's often quite a humorous one. So let's hear an example and see if you can catch what the phrase is. 也有和這個詞語相關的短語。我想這個詞組不是很嚴肅,它常常表現得十分幽默。來聽這個例子,看看是不是掌握了這個詞組。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woman: Hi, Tom. We don't see you up our end of the office very often. 湯姆,你好。自從我們不在一個辦公室了,我就很少能看見你。
Man: I'm on the scrounge for paperclips. Have you got any spare ones? 我在找回形針。你有多余的嗎?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: 對話中的男士說 I'm on the scrounge for paperclips 的意思就是他在找曲別針。他雖然用了單詞 scrounge, 但是這里并不是貶義的,只是表示他需要什么東西 on the scrounge for something. Well, I'll tell you one thing, William.
William: What's that, Feifei? 菲菲,那是什么?
Feifei: I've had enough of scroungers. Next time Kate turns up at my door, she'd better have my dictionary and my radio and I don't care what she says, I'm not lending her anything ever again. 我已經了解足夠多的關于愛騙取別人東西的人的特質了。下次凱特來最好先把我的辭典和收音機還給我。不管他說什么,我都不會把東西借給了。
William: Good for you, Feifei! Stand up for yourself! 菲菲,這樣很好!做自己想做的! Can I scrounge a cigarette?