William: Hi, I'm William and welcome to Authentic Real English. 威廉,你好。歡迎來到原汁原味英語節目。
Feifei: Ahhh...啊……
William: Feifei? 菲菲,什么事?
Feifei: Don't you think Brad Pitt is lovely? 你也會覺得布拉德·皮特很可愛,對嗎?
William: Brad Pitt? 布拉德·皮特?
Feifei: Yes,he's tall, handsom... and of course an amazing actor. 是的,他很高,很帥……并且還是個了不起的演員。
William: Yeah and I'm sure he's worth a few bob too. 是的,我也確信他會是個有錢人。
Feifei: A few bob? 一些飾品?
William: Yeah I think Brad Pitt is worth a lot of money. Have you got a few bob? 是的,我覺得布拉德·皮特身價很高。你有錢嗎?
Feifei: So a few bob means a large amount of money? 也就是說一些飾品的意思是很多錢嗎?
William: Well,a few bob actually means a small amount of money but it's usually used in an ironic way, to mean a lot of money.
Feifei: A few bob 的意思就是一點兒錢。通常使用這個短語時都帶有諷刺的意味,表示很多錢。
William: Here are some examples. 比如。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: She's has got the brand new phone I want! 她有一個我很想有的新款的手機!
B: Yeah and look at that designer handbag, she definitely looks like she's got a few bob. 是啊,看那只專門設計的手提包,她看上去真得很有錢的樣子。
A: Did you see John's new car? 你見過約翰的新車嗎?
B: Yes, it's amazing! He's definitely not short of a few bob. 是的,很棒!他一定很有錢。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
William: In that last example the speaker said not short of a few bob. 后一個例子中,說話者明明說沒有錢啊。
Feifei: Not short of a few bob 的意思就是他非常富有。
William: Sometimes instead of saying a few bob people will say a bob or two.
Feifei: 有時候我們也可以說 a bob or two 來表示 a few bob。 I definitely think Brad Pitt is worth a bob or two.
William: Feifei, I think you're getting obsessed with Brad Pitt! 菲菲,我覺得你開始迷上布拉德·皮特了!
Feifei: I'm not obsessed 癡迷的! I just think he's a very good actor! 我只是覺得他是個很好的演員!
William: Yeah yeah yeah! Anyway,back to today's phrase, here is an example using the phrase a bob or two. 對啊!不管怎么樣,回到今天的短語,在用a bob or two來舉個例子。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Did you sell your old furniture? 你把你的舊家具買了嗎?
B. Not yet, but I'm hoping to make a bob or two out of it. 還沒有,但是我希望買個好價錢。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: So William, are you worth a bob or two? 所以,威廉,你有錢沒?
William: I couldn't possibly answer that, Feifei! 菲菲,我不能回答這個問題。