3.4減詞 (Omission)
減詞是指將原文中需要而譯文中又不需要的詞語省去。
從語法角度進行減省
冠詞
連詞
介詞
代詞
As a frequent moviegoer, I am keeping abreast of the latest development of
我是電影院里的常客,通曉好萊塢電影最新動態。
We can not discover any material in an element but itself.
在一個元素里,除元素本身外,不可能再發現其他物質。
I framed the words in my mind, “Pardon me, but have I done something to offend you?”
我心里在嘀咕:“對不起,我做了什么事冒犯了您?”
As it is late, let us go to bed.不早了,睡吧
代詞省略——抽象代詞、泛指代詞
1) 有些做賓語的代詞
I am going to have it. 我想去吃
2) 泛指的英語人稱代詞做主語
3) 指代抽象名詞的代詞
Ford’s basic wage of $
4) 物主代詞
5) 形式主語和形式賓語it
從修飾角度進行減省
The hardest part of any big project is to begin.
任何一個大項目最艱難的是起步。
There are plenty of opportunities to attend community events and volunteer your services.
參與社區活動以及提供志愿服務的機會多得很。
The problem of alternative fuels of vehicle is one problem we shall approach.
車輛的代用燃料是我們將要著手處理的一個問題。
To learn is not an easy matter and to apply what one has learned is even harder.
學習不容易,應用更不容易。
In mid-1977, world sea-going tonnage amounted to 338.5 million grt which reflects a rise of 5.8% in grt over mid-1976, compared with a corresponding increase of 9% from mid-1975 to mid-1976.
1977年年中,世界遠洋船噸位共達 3.385 億注冊總噸,比 1976 年年中注冊總噸增加了 5.8% ,而 1976 年年中比 1975 年年中注冊總噸增加了 9% 。