Video Message by António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, on World Environment Day
聯合國秘書長安東尼奧·古特雷斯世界環境日視頻致辭
5 June 2021
2021年6月5日
We are rapidly reaching the point of no return for the planet.
人類給地球造成的損害正在快速達到不可挽回的地步。
We face a triple environmental emergency – biodiversity loss, climate disruption and escalating pollution.
我們面臨著三重環境緊急情況,即:生物多樣性喪失、氣候遭到破壞、污染不斷升級。
For too long, humanity has cut down the Earth’s forests, polluted its rivers and oceans, and ploughed its grasslands into oblivion.
很久以來,人類砍伐了地球的森林,污染了河流、海洋,把草原也開墾得無影無蹤。
We are ravaging the very ecosystems that underpin our societies.
我們正在毀壞支撐人類社會的生態系統。
And, in doing so, we risk depriving ourselves of the food, water and resources we need to survive.
而且,這樣做可能會剝奪人類生存所需的食物、水源、資源。
The degradation of the natural world is already undermining the well-being of 3.2 billion people – or 40 per cent of humanity.
自然界的退化已在損害32億人即40%人類的福祉。
Luckily, the Earth is resilient.
幸運的是,地球具有韌性。
But she needs our help.
可地球需要我們的幫助。
We still have time to reverse the damage we have done.
我們還有時間扭轉人類造成的損害。
That is why, on this World Environment Day, we are launching the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
這就是為什么我們要在這個世界環境日啟動聯合國生態系統恢復十年。
This global movement will bring together governments, businesses, civil society and private citizens in an unprecedented effort to heal the Earth.
這場全球性運動將召集各級政府、公司企業、民間社會、普通公民,共同為治愈地球做出前所未有的努力。
By restoring ecosystems, we can drive a transformation that will contribute to the achievement of all the Sustainable Development Goals.
通過恢復生態系統,我們將能推動變革,促進各項可持續發展目標的實現。
The task is monumental.
這是一項極其艱巨的任務。
We need to replant and protect our forests.
我們需要重新造林、切實護林。
We need to clean up our rivers and seas.
我們需要清理河流、海洋。
And we need to green our cities.
我們也需要綠化城市。
Accomplishing these things will not only safeguard the planet’s resources.
完成這些工作不僅能保護地球的資源。
It will create millions of new jobs by 2030, generate returns of over $7 trillion dollars every year and help eliminate poverty and hunger.
到2030年,這些工作還將創造數以百萬計的新就業機會,每年產生超過7萬億美元的收入,并有助于消除貧困與饑餓。
The United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration is a global call to action.
聯合國生態系統恢復十年是一項全球行動倡議。
It will draw together political support, scientific research and financial muscle to massively scale up restoration.
它將調動起政治支持、科學研究、財政力量,極大地擴展地球修復活動的規模。
And everyone can contribute.
每個人都能貢獻自己的力量。
Science tells us these next 10 years are our final chance to avert a climate catastrophe, turn back the deadly tide of pollution and end species loss.
科學告訴我們,未來10年是避免氣候災難、扭轉致命污染潮、阻止物種滅絕的最后機會。
Today, let’s start a new decade – one in which we finally make peace with nature and secure a better future for all.
因此,讓今天成為一個嶄新十年的開始。讓我們在這十年里終于同自然達成和諧,從而確保人人都擁有更美好的未來。