column-comparable The commercial life
商業生活
"Well folks, commerce for the day has commenced
"各位,今天的商業節 目現在開始,
and I am sure we are in for a great day of commodity trading.
我敢肯定今天是個商品 交易的好日子.
Other commuters are lined in columns along the highway,
其他乘公交車輛上下班 的人現在正在高速公路 邊、
at the rail station and on bus.
火車站和汽車上排著長 隊.
It is a wonder that the comedy of this life escape us.
真不敢相信,這種生活 的喜劇居然沒有引起我 們的注意,
But it would take a comet striking the earth
"那得要有彗星撞地球 那樣的事情發生
to shake us from our comic and absurd ways.
要想讓我們擺脫滑稽而 荒唐的生活方式.
At he commentator
在新聞評論員
continued his running commentary about the day's events,
繼續滔滔不絕地對當天 發生的事件進行評論的 時候,
Beth and Lisa simply frowned.
貝思和麗莎只是皺著 眉頭.
"I hate that guy." Said Beth.
"我討厭那個家伙." 貝思說
"He's always so smug as he commits thought into our heads
"他總是將他的觀點強 加給我們,這時他還總 是那么自鳴得意
whether we like them or not.
不管我們喜歡不喜歡."
I have even heard
我甚至聽說,
that he gets a bigger commission whenever people complain.
只要有人投訴.他拿的 傭金就更多.
It's like there is this committee out there trying to remind us about
好像有那么個委員會 在那兒試圖提醒我們
the combustibility of our commercial life style.
商業生活方式的易激 動性.
I know it' s not natural:living in steel buildings,
知道這種生活方式不自 然:住在鋼鐵建筑中、
wearing the same suits, driving the same cars day after day.
穿同樣的衣服、日復一 日開同樣的汽車.
But is no comparable alternative.
可是我們沒有類似的 其他選擇.
I don't want to go back to living in some cave.
我可不想回去住在某 個洞里!
You can commemorate at my grave if anyone ever forces me to do that!
要是有人硬逼我這樣, 你就到我的墳前紀念 我吧."
"Yeah,but his commitment and telling the truth are honorable!
"你說得對,但是他的 全心投入和實話實說是 值得尊敬的!
I like his command of the English language:
我喜歡他的英語運用能 力:
He speaks so well!I mean think of it! He's right;
他說得真棒!我是說, 想想吧!他是對的,
everything we do is about surviving in the economic structure that has been forced on us.
我們做的每件事都是在 強加給我們的經濟 結構中求生存.
I bet if we combined all of the money traded here in one day
我敢打賭,如果把這里 一天的交易額合起來,
we could cure cancer and do away with poverty!" Responded Lisa.
我們就能治愈癌癥和消 滅貧困."麗莎回答說.
"Lisa!I never knew you!" Said Beth with a frown
"麗莎,我太不了解你 啦!"貝思皺著眉頭說,
as she sat down in her cubicle
她在小隔間坐了下來,
that was indentical to that of every other person in the office.
辦公室其他人的小 隔問都跟她的一樣.