Apprentice interview
學徒面試
"Well Jim. you can approach my desk now.
"好了.吉姆.現在你 可以到我的桌子這兒來 了.
I have done an appraisal of your application to be my apprentice.
我已經對你要求作我學 徒的申請做了評估.
and I have a few questions for you.
現在我要問你幾個問題
You don't seem to have any apparent experience
你好像明顯沒有任何 經驗.
in working with large aquatic appliances.
使用大型水生器械的
You do know that the aquariums I clean and make
你一定知道我清理和制 造的水族箱
are not for goldfish or restaurant shelves.right?"
不是用來養金魚或是用 來放在餐廳擱架上的. 對吧?"
"Ummm.You mean you can put minnows in them too?"
"嗯.您是說里面也可 以放些小魚嗎?"
"No.I mean they put sharks. manta rays. whales. and seals in them!
"不.我的意思是里邊 放鯊魚、蝠鲼、鯨魚 和海豹.
Well.I applaud your effort
對.我對你的努力 表示歡迎.
and appreciate your coming across town for this interview.
也感謝你跑過來面試.
but you don't have the experience or aptitude
可是你不具備經驗和 才能.
that is usually required for this type of apprenticeship.
這份學徒工作通常要 求的
I just can't approve hiring you."
我實在不能批準雇用 你."
"Thank you sir.
"謝謝您.先生.
I am very appreciative of your apt assessment of my qualifications.
您對我的資格做出了恰 當的評價.我對此表示 感激.
But I believe you are wrong
但是我確信您錯了.
and I would like to appeal.uhhh.to you
我懇求您
to give me approval to at least be your apprentice for an approximate test period.
準許我成為您的學徒. 至少讓我干大約一個 試用期的時間.
I know I don't know anything about aquariums.
我知道自己對水族箱知 之甚少.
I don't even know an approximate amount of information about them!
甚至連大致了解都算 上!
I come from the desert where arable land is a rare thing.
我來自沙漠地區.那里 可耕種的土地非常稀少
But that's why I came to California. to work with water. sir.
但這正是我來到加州的 原因.要找個和水有關 的工作.先生.
And I know you approve of determination.
我也知道您認可做事有 決心的人.
Well sir.I have that and I hope you will give me a try."
先生.我有決心.希望 您能讓我嘗試一下."
"Hmmm.Okay Jimmy. I'll take a risk and give you a try.
"嗯.好吧.吉米.我 就冒險讓你嘗試一下.
I will appoint you for a three-month test period.
任命你干三個月的 試用期.
We'll take a look at how you're doing in three months and go from there."
我們要看看你在這三個 月內干得如何.然后再 做打算."
"Thank you sir! You won't be disappointed!"
"謝謝您.先生. 您不會失望的."