It's common for you, nonfiction writers, to go forth into an area you know little about.
作為一名非小說作家,你經常會進入自己知之甚少的領域。
You may worry that you are not qualified to bring the story back.
你可能會擔心自己沒有能力把故事帶回來。
I feel that anxiety every time I start a new project.
我每次開始著手一個新項目時都會有這種擔心。
I felt it when I went to Bradenton to write my baseball book Spring training.
我在去布雷登頓寫我的棒球書《春訓》的時候就有這種感覺。
Although I've been a baseball fan all my life, I had never done any sports reporting, never interviewed a professional athlete.
雖然我一直都是一個棒球迷,但是我從未做過體育報道、從未采訪過職業運動員。
Any of the men I approached with a notebook could have asked.
每一個我接觸到的拿著筆記本的人我本都可以去問的。
What else have you written about baseball? But nobody did.
您還寫過什么其他的有關棒球的東西?但是沒有人這樣做。
They didn't ask, because I was sincere.
他們沒有問,因為我太坦誠了。
It was obvious to those man that I really wanted to know how they did their work.
在他們看來我很明顯是很想知道他們的工作方式。
Remember this: when you enter a new area and need a shot of confidence, what matters is how you do it.
記住這一點:在你進入一個新領域并且需要給自己一些自信的時候,重要的是怎樣去做。
Also remember that your assignment may not be as narrow as you think.
還要記住,你的任務可能并不像你想的那樣狹隘。
Often it will turn out to touch some unexpected corner of your experience or your education, enabling you to broaden the story with strength of your own.
它往往會觸及到你的經歷或教育中一些意想不到的角落,并讓你能夠憑借自己的實力去把故事擴展開來。
Every such production of the unfamiliar will reduce your fear.
每次這種創造力的產出都會減少你的畏懼。