That is a little about the UN.
以上是有關聯合國的一些情況。
Now let me tell you about the work I have been doing with them.
現在我來告訴你們我和他們一起做的工作。
My job with the UN is not paid, but voluntary, and as I said before, I visit countries where the UN has programmes to help people.
我為聯合國所做的工作不計酬勞,而是自愿的,正如我之前所說,我訪問那些由聯合國安排了項目來幫助人們的國家。
So, how do I help by visiting these countries?
那么我是怎么通過訪問來幫助這些國家的?
Well, if I visit these countries, the television and press will follow and record my visits.
如果我訪問這些國家,電視和新聞媒體將追蹤記錄我的訪問。
This will increase people's knowledge of the work of the UN.
這將增加人們對聯合國所做的工作的認識。
In addition, my visits will encourage people working on the projects and draw local people's attention to the situation.
另外,我的訪問將會鼓勵人們實施方案,并引起當地人對現狀的關注。
I have visited many countries in Africa.
我訪問了非洲的許多國家。
Recently, I was fortunate enough to travel to South Africa, where I met some women who have organized themselves into a group.
最近,我很榮幸地參觀了南非,在那兒我遇見了一些婦女,她們自己成立了一個組織。
They collect approximately 1.35 yuan per day from each member and add it to some money contributed by the government.
她們每天從每個成員那里收取約合1.35元的人民幣并添入政府給她們提供的一筆錢里。
With this, the women have enough money to acquire materials to make baskets.
有了這筆錢,婦女們就有了足夠的錢來獲得編織籃筐的材料。
They then sell these at the market.
然后她們把籃筐拿到市場上賣掉。
With luck their group will be able to expand and maybe set up a shop.
幸運的話,她們的組織就會壯大并有可能開一家店鋪。
Such programmes can transform people's lives by giving them the ability to provide for themselves and their families.
這樣的項目可改變人們的生活,使他們有能力養活自己和家人。
There are lots worthwhile programmes like this under the umbrella of the UN that have helped millions of people across the world.
在聯合國的庇護下,產生了很多這類有價值的項目,由此幫助了世界各地的數百萬人。
Apart from the urgent problems caused by wars and conflicts,
除了戰爭和沖突產生的緊急問題外,
the UN helps countries with other problems such as lack of education, starvation, disasters, AIDS and other diseases.
聯合國還幫助各國處理其他問題,像缺乏教育、饑荒、災難、艾滋病和其他疾病。
At a UN meeting in 2000, all of its members agreed to try and meet eight development goals by the year 2015.
在2000年舉行的聯合國大會上,所有成員國同意到2015年,努力實現八個發展目標。
One of the goals is to ensure that clean water is available to everyone, as in many places water is not safe to drink unless it is boiled.
目標之一是確保每個人都能夠享受到新鮮的飲用水,因為在許多地方,沒有煮沸的水都不能安全飲用。
Another is to ensure all children complete primary education.
另一個是確保所有兒童完成小學教育。
For more information, you may like to look it up on the UN website.
要了解更多信息,你可以查看聯合國網站。
So you see, with the work of the UN the world has been brought closer together.
所以你看,有了聯合國的工作,世界更緊密地連在了一起。