'Just take my hand,' said the man. 'Come with me. You'll be all right.' He took Polly's hand.
“握住我的手,” 老人說,“跟我來,不用擔心。” 老人牽著波莉的手。
'Watch out for the step here.'
“當心,這兒有臺階。”
In his other hand the man carried a stick.
老人的另一只手里拄著一根拐杖。
Polly heard it hit the step.
波莉聽到了拐杖敲擊臺階的聲音。“
'I can remember some terrible fogs, but maybe that was before your time.
我至今還記得有幾次厲害的大霧,可那也許是你還沒有出生前的事了。
I can't see your face, but you sound young. How old are you?'
我看不見你的臉,但你的聲音聽上去很年輕。你多大了?
'Just twenty,' answered Polly.
“剛二十,”波莉答道。
'Ah, twenty! A nice age to be. I was young once.
“啊,二十!多好的年齡啊。我也曾年輕過呢。
Now we're at the crossroads. Turn left here.'
我們到十字路口了。這里左轉彎。”
'I'm quite lost now. Are you sure you know the way?'
“我現在是徹底迷路了。您肯定認識路嗎?”
Polly was beginning to feel frightened again.
波莉又開始覺得恐懼了。
'Of course. You really shouldn't feel anxious.' He held her hand more firmly.
“當然了。你真的不必擔心的。” 他更加堅定地握住了她的手。