Does an advertisement tell people the complete truth?
廣告告訴人們的全都是事實嗎?
There are laws to protect people from advertisements that cheat people.
有嚴格的法律保護人們不受某些虛假廣告的侵害。
However, we still must be aware of the skilful methods used in ads to try and sell us things.
但是,我們還得了解廣告中所使用的一些微妙的方法。
Even if an ad does not lie, it does not mean it is altogether innocent.
即使一則廣告沒有撒謊,也不意味著這則廣告就是完全“清白”的。
One toothpaste ad declares, 'Bright-Teeth fights bad breath!'
一個牙膏廣告說:“亮白牙齒防口臭!”
This statement tries to fool you into assuming that the toothpaste cures bad breath, yet it does not say that!
這樣的陳述試圖糊弄你,讓你設想以為該牙膏能夠消除口臭,但它并沒有那樣說!
All it says is that it fights it, and that is not the same thing at all.
它只是說該牙膏防口臭,二者一點兒也不一樣。
One grocery tells customers, 'You are proud of your cooking, so shouldn't you buy the very freshest food?'
一家商店告訴顧客:“你為自己的廚藝感到驕傲,那么不應該買最最新鮮的食物嗎?”
This ad is very clever, because it tells customers that they are good cooks.
這則廣告很聰明,因為它告訴顧客說他們是烹飪好手。
However, it never says that this grocery has the freshest food!
但是,它從來沒有說該商店提供的食物是最新鮮的!
The grocery just hopes that when you read the ad, you will feel pleased with the nice comment, remember the words 'freshest food', and make a mental connection with the food in the grocery.
該商店只是希望你看到這則廣告時,就會因他們的夸贊而感覺良好,然后記住詞組“最新鮮的食物”,思維上就將這個詞組和這家商店提供的食物聯(lián)系起來。
We must not fall for this kind of trick!
我們絕對不能相信這種把戲!