The average global temperature is about 0.5 degrees centigrade higher than it was 100 years ago.
平均全球氣溫比100年前高大約0.5攝氏度。
We know that cars are bad for us. So why do we carry on using our cars so much?
我們知道汽車對我們有害。那我們為什么繼續大量使用汽車?
We all make excuses: "The buses are terrible." "The trains are always late!" "I haven't got time to walk."
我們都在找借口:"公共汽車太可怕。""火車總是晚點!""我們沒時間走路。"
I'm talking about myself, too. I admit: I'm addicted to my car.
我也說說我自己。我承認:我沉迷于汽車難以自拔。
When I asked Jenny Trowe of Greenpeace for advice about how to give up, she told me six things:
我詢問"綠色和平"組織的詹妮·圖博漢如何放棄汽車的建議時,她告訴我六件事情:
1 Use your legs. Over 25% of car journeys are under two miles - short journeys we could easily walk or cycle.
1 使用你的雙腿。25%的汽車行程都在2英里之內-短程我們可以不費力地步行或騎車。
Leg power can save you money, keep you fit and help you live longer.
腳力可以省錢,保持健康,并使你長壽。
And regular exercise cuts the risk of heart disease by 50%!
而且經常鍛煉減少一半得心臟病的風險。
2 Use public transport. On average, about forty people travel in one bus, while the same number occupy thirty-three cars.
2 使用公共交通工具。平均而言,大約40人乘坐一輛公共汽車,而同樣數量的人要占據33輛小轎車。
Sometimes it can take a little bit longer, but so what?
有時花的時間長了一點,但又怎么樣呢?
You can relax on the bus or train, read a book, talk to someone, meet the love of your life - who knows?
你可以在公共汽車或火車上休息,看書,聊天,遇到你生命中的摯愛-誰知道呢?
3 Think before you go. Do you really have to go to that shopping centre on the other side of town?
3 出門之前想想。你真的非得去城市另一邊的購物中心嗎?
What about the shops around the corner?
街角的商店如何?
Before you get into your car, think about whether you really need to make that journey.
上車之前,想想你是否真的必須出行。