Lesson 4 Dream Houses
第四課 夢之屋
The House on Mango Street
芒果街上的房子
We didn't always live on Mango Street.
我們不是一直住在芒果街。
Before that we lived on Loomis on the third floor, and before that we lived on Keeler Street.
在那之前我們住在Loomis的三樓,再之前我們住在Keeler街。
Before Keeler Street it was Paulina Street, and before that I can't remember.
在Keeler街之前,我們住在Paulina街,而再之前的我也記不住了。
But what I remembered most is moving a lot.
但是我記得最多的就是搬了很多次家。
Each time it seemed there'd be one more of us.
似乎每次搬家我們之中又多了一個人。
By the time we got to Mango Street we were six
在這次搬去芒果街時,我們有六個人
Mama, Papa, Carlos, Kiki, my sister Nenny and me.
媽媽、爸爸、卡洛斯、基基、我的妹妹內妮和我。
The house on Mango Street is ours,
芒果街上的房子是屬于我們自己的,
and we don't have to pay rent to anybody, or share the yard with the people downstairs,
我們不用再向任何人交房租,或同樓下的人共用一個院子,
or be careful not to make too much noise,
或小心不制造太多噪音,
and worried about the landlord being angry.
擔心房東會生氣。
But even so, it's not the house we thought we'd get.
但是即使這樣,這也不是我們所期望的房子。
We had to leave the flat on Loomis quick.
我們不得不迅速離開Loomis的公寓。
There were worms in the wooden walls.
木墻里有很多蟲子。
Then the water pipes broke and the landlord wouldn't fix them because the house was too old.
水管破了,房東修不好,因為房子太老了。
He had no mercy so we had to leave fast.
他沒有同情心,我們得趕快離開。
We were using the washroom next door and carrying water over.
我們一直在使用隔壁的衛生間,兩邊接水。
And everything in the flat was damp.
公寓里的所有一切都是潮濕的。
That's why Mama and Papa looked for a house,
這就是為什么爸爸媽媽要找房子,
and that's why we moved into the house on Mango Street, far away, on the other side of town.
為什么要搬到在城鎮另一邊的遙遠的芒果街上去了。
They always told us that one day we would move into a house,
他們經常告訴我們總有一天我們將會搬進屬于我們自己的房子,
a real house that would be ours so we wouldn't have to move each year.
我們將不用每年都搬家了。