Scott recorded his death: "He said, 'I am just going outside and I may be some time.'
斯科特記錄了他的死:"他說,'我出去一會,或許過一陣子才能回來。'"
We knew that poor Oates was walking to his death, but though we tried to stop him,
我們知道可憐的奧茨正接近死亡,即便我們設法阻止他,
we knew that it was the act of a brave man and an English gentleman.
我們知道這是一個勇敢的英國紳士的舉動。
We all hope to meet the end with a similar spirit, and certainly the end is not far."
我們都希望臨死時能有同樣的精神,而死肯定不遠了。"
Scott and two of his team members carried on and got within eleven miles of one of their food bases.
斯科特和兩名同伴繼續前行,到達距離食品儲存處不足11英里的地方。
But then a terrible storm started and they could not leave their tent.
但后來,一場可怕的暴風雨來臨,他無法無法離開帳篷。
Scott spent some of his last hours writing.
斯科特用他生命最后的幾個小時寫作。
He wrote a letter full of sadness to his wife Kathleen:
他給妻子凱思琳寫了一封充滿悲傷的信:
"I could tell you lots and lots about this journey. What stories you would have for the boy ...
"我可以告訴你很多很多有關這個旅程的事。你可以給孩子講這些故事……
But what a price to pay."
但這些付出都很值得。"
Scott's diary also told the story of their end:
斯科特的日記同樣記錄了他們的死亡:
"We are getting weaker and weaker and the end can't be far. It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more."
"我們變得越來越虛弱,死離我們不遠了。這是很遺憾的,但我想我不能再記日記了。"
The news of Scott's death shocked the world.
斯科特的死訊震驚了世界。
He had failed to win the race to the Pole,
他在去南極的競賽中失敗了,
but the extraordinary courage shown by Captain Scott and his men made them into heroes.
但斯科特和他隊友的非凡勇氣使他們成為英雄。