So I told her that the source of the Mekong is in Qinghai Province.
于是我告訴她湄公河的源頭在青海省。
She gave me a determined look— the kind that said she would not change her mind.
她給了我一個堅定的眼神——這種眼神表明她是不會改變主意的。
When I told her that our journey would begin at an altitude of more than 5,000 metres, she seemed to be excited about it.
當我告訴她我們的旅行將從5000多米的的高地出發時,她似乎顯得很興奮。
When I told her the air would be hard to breathe and it would be very cold, she said it would be an interesting experience.
當我告訴她那里空氣稀薄,呼吸會很困難,而且天氣會很冷時,她卻說這將是一次很有趣的經歷。
I know my sister well.
我非常了解我的姐姐,
Once she has made up her mind, nothing can change it.
她一旦下了決心,就什么也不能使她改變。
Finally, I had to give in.
最后,我只好讓步了。
Several months before our trip, Wang Wei and I went to the library.
在我們旅行前的幾個月,王薇和我去了圖書館。
We found a large atlas with good maps that showed details of world geography.
我們找到了一本大型的地圖冊,里面有一些世界地理的明細圖。
From the atlas we could see that the Mekong River begins in a glacier on a mountain in Qinghai Province.
我們從圖上可以看到,湄公河源于西藏一座山上的冰川。
At first the river is small and the water is clear and cold.
起初,河很小,河水清澈而冷冽,
Then it begins to move quickly.
然后它開始快速流動。
It becomes rapids as it passes through deep valleys, travelling across western Yunnan Province.
它穿過深谷時就變成了急流流經云南西部。
Sometimes the river becomes a waterfall and enters wide valleys.
有時,這條河形成瀑布進入寬闊的峽谷。
We were both surprised to learn that half of the river is in China.
我們驚奇的發現這條河有一半是在中國境內。
After it leaves China and the high altitude, the Mekong becomes wide, brown and warm.
當流出中國,流出高地后,湄公河就變寬,變暖了。河水也變成了黃褐色。
As it enters Southeast Asia, its pace slows.
而當它進入東南亞以后,流速減慢,
It makes wide bends or meanders through low valleys to the plains where rice grows.
河水變寬慢慢地穿過低谷,到了長著稻谷的平原。
At last, the river delta enters the South China Sea.
最后,湄公河三角洲的各支流流入中國南海。