Unit One Friendship
第一單元 友誼
Reading
閱讀
Anne's Best Friend
安妮最好的朋友
Do you want a friend whom you could tell everything to, like your deepest feelings and thoughts?
你想不想有一位無話不談能推心置腹的朋友?
Or are you afraid that your friend would laugh at you, or would not understand what you are going through?
或者你會不會擔心你的朋友會嘲笑你,會不理解你目前的困境呢?
Anne Frank wanted the first kind, so she made her diary her best friend.
安妮·弗蘭克想要的是第一種類型的朋友,所以她把的日記視為自己最好的朋友。
Anne lived in Amsterdam in the Netherlands during World War II.
安妮在第二次世界大戰期間住在荷蘭的阿姆斯特丹。
Her family was Jewish, so they had to hide or they would be caught by the German Nazis.
她一家人都是猶太人,所以他們不得不躲藏起來,否則就會被德國的納粹分子抓去。
She and her family hid away for nearly twenty-five months before they were discovered.
她和她的家人躲藏了25個月之后被發現了。
During that time the only true friend was her diary.
在那段時期,她的日記成了她唯一忠實的朋友。
She said, “I don't want to set down a series of facts in a diary as most people do,
她說:“我不愿像大多數人那樣在日記中記流水賬。
but I want this diary itself to be my friend, and I shall call my friend Kitty.
我要把我的日記當作自己的朋友,我把我的這個朋友叫做基蒂。
Now read how she felt after being in the hiding place since July 1942.
現在,來看看安妮自1942年7月起躲進藏身處后的那種心情吧。
Thursday 15, June, 1944
1944年6月15日,星期四
Dear kitty,
親愛的基蒂,
I wonder if it's because I haven't been able to be outdoors for so long that I've grown so crazy about everything to do with nature.
我不知道這是不是因為我太久無法出門的緣故,我變得對一切與大自然有關的事物都無比狂熱。
I can well remember that there was a time when a deep blue sky, the song of the birds, moonlight and flowers could never have kept me spellbound.
我記得非常清楚,以前,湛藍的天空、鳥兒的歌唱、月光和鮮花,從未令我心迷神往過。
That's changed since I came here.
自從我來到這里之后,這一切都變了。
For example, one evening, when it was so warm, I stayed awake on purpose until half past eleven in order to have a good look at the moon by myself.
比如說,有一天晚上天氣很暖和,我故意熬到晚上11點半都不睡覺,為的就是能獨自好好地看看月亮。
But as the moon gave far too much light, I didn't dare open a window.
但是因為月光太亮了,我都不敢打開窗戶。
Another time five months ago, I happened to be upstairs at dusk when the window was open.
還有一次,就在五個月以前,黃昏時分,我碰巧在樓上,窗戶是開著的,
I didn't go downstairs until the window had to be shut.
我一直呆到非關窗不可的時候才下樓去。
The dark, rainy evening, the wind, the thundering clouds held me entirely in their power;
漆黑的雨夜,刮著大風,電閃雷鳴,烏云滾滾,我完全被這種景象鎮住了。
it was the first time in a year and a half that I'd seen the night face to face…
這是我一年半以來第一次親眼目睹的夜晚……
Sadly, I am only able to look at nature through dirty curtains hanging before very dusty windows.
不幸的是,我只能透過那滿是灰塵的窗簾下那臟兮兮的窗戶看看大自然。
It's no pleasure looking through these any longer because nature is one thing that really must be experienced.
只能隔著窗戶看那大自然實在沒意思,因為大自然是需要真正體驗的東西。
Yours, Anne
你的,安妮