Good morning class!
同學們早上好!
Today I’d like to introduce some English expressions about animals.
今天我要介紹一些關于動物的英語表達。
Cats are one of the most popular pets among Americans;
貓是美國人中最受歡迎的寵物之一;
so it’s not surprising that there are many expressions about cats in American English.
所以美式英語中有很多關于貓的表達并不奇怪。
If someone looks very proud and satisfied with himself,
如果一個人看起來很驕傲,對自己很滿意,
we might say, “He looks like the cat that ate the canary.”
我們可能會說,“他看起來像一只吃了金絲雀的貓。”
If you reveal a secret or a surprise by accident,
如果你無意中泄露了一個秘密或一個驚喜,
we can say, “You let the cat out of the bag.”
我們可以說,“你露馬腳了。”。
If you couldn’t speak or answer a question,
如果你不能說話或回答問題,
someone might ask, “Has the cat got your tongue?”
那么某人可能會問:“你的舌頭被貓叼走了嗎?”
And for the way you behave in class when the teacher leaves, we sometimes say,
對于老師離開后你在課堂上的表現,我們有時會說,
"When the cat’s away, the mice will play,"
“貓兒不在,老鼠成精,”
meaning to do what they want and have fun when there is no supervision.
意思是在沒有監督的情況下做自己想做的事,玩得開心。
You may have also heard the expression,
你可能也聽過這個表達,
"Curiosity killed the cat."
”好奇害死貓。“
This is to warn someone not to ask too many questions,
這是警告某人不要問太多問題,
as it might get them into trouble.
因為這可能會給他們帶來麻煩。