I have not forgotten the men I knew in the 101st Airborne Division.
我仍然記得我認識的101空降師的軍人們。
The men and women I worked with in universities were pale and unreal in comparison.
相比之下,我在大學里的同事們顯得蒼白、不真實。
They were hollow and filled with words.
他們雖然健談,但空話連篇。
What was I to think of the new breed of university professors, structuralists, poststructuralists, deconstructionists,
我該如何看待新一代的大學教授、結構主義者、后結構主義者、解構主義者呢?
who taught that experience had no meaning, that the only reality was language, one word referring to another, one "sign" to another, with no stop in any kind of truth?
他們向學生傳授說經驗毫無意義,他們認為語言是唯一真實的東西,用一個詞來表達另一個詞,用一個符號代表另一個符號,只是與真理相去甚遠。
It is right to remember such things as I have described—
銘記我所敘述的這些事情是有益的。
in the first place, because those who have lived and died before us should be remembered, insofar as it is possible.
首先,我們應盡可能不遺忘那些前輩與逝者,
Otherwise our own lives seem worthless.
否則我們自己的生命就似乎毫無價值。
In the second place, war is a permanent human condition, and men and women will have to face it.
其次,戰爭是人類永遠要面對的處境,人人都得面對它。
It may help them to know how people no stronger physically or mentally than they have faced it.
這會幫助人們了解在體力和精神上都與他們相差無幾的人是如何面對戰爭的。